• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 Dash Pad

I thought my 62 was close but it does seem a bit off. This is an aftermarket advertised as 62 Savoy only. Was that Pattern in a base Dart? Go, Joe, Go! Get er done.

View attachment 1581487

Your timing is impeccable! I just ordered my trunk mat yesterday after extensive researching.

My conclusion is nobody makes the correct pattern for the right application. Maybe for one exception that I found and that's the "Hash print". But you can't get it in a molded mat.

Like it has been discussed many times over, REM and ACC are the only two manufacturers of these mats. Each offer different patterns, some close to one another but only similar to the factory patterns and not exactly. (I'm researching 1962 only.)

I've found two original mats in the 1962 Dodge. A light Plaid and a Hash Print.

Original Plaid mat 1962 Dodge Dart.
00Q0Q_dk6iGBtElt5z_0fM0aM_1200x9001 (1).jpg

Original Hash Print 1962 Dodge Dart. Both pictures are from the same car. Lighting on the second picture looks blue but it's grayish. Picture of this pattern from a car at Chryslers at Carlisle that was original.
dodge-dart-recue-019 (1).jpg

dodge-dart-recue-023 (1).jpg

Picture from Chryslers at Carlisle Dodge.
20190414_122636.jpg

Online sample picture from REM
s-l960 (4).jpg

When I bought my '62 someone had removed the trunk mat so I have no idea what it looked like. That's one of the reasons I tried to find out what was used. I have discovered these two patterns from the Hamtramck plant. I've seen both of these patterns used in the Plymouth B bodies also.

So my next question was will a mat advertised for a Plymouth be the same as a Dodge? You would think they are but they even advertise Belvedere separate from a Fury/Sport Fury. Why would they be different? I thought maybe it had to do with the patterns but they offer the same patterns for both. (The convertible vehicles take a different mat altogether.)

Most of REM mats are flat not molded. ACC mats are mostly molded but are thinner vinyl. Not the "table cloth" thin vinyl which is also out there. Talking with Joe Shusy, he was trying to get Rem to give ACC the Hash Print material so they could offer that in a molded mat. They won't do it.

So I happened to stumble across a Plaid Print, rubber mat from REM that is supposed to be molded. The only catch is it's for a '62 Plymouth Fury. I'll let everyone know how it fits the Dodge when I receive it. It's still in transit from Classic Industries in California. (They had the best price and it was in stock)
And if fits and if it is molded, there could be a good chance they can mold other patterns and offer them for the Dodge.

Last edited:
So my next question was will a mat advertised for a Plymouth be the same as a Dodge? You would think they are but they even advertise Belvedere separate from a Fury/Sport Fury. Why would they be different?
I have found when looking for parts for my 62 Dodge, sometimes I have to look under Plymouth Fury and/or Belvedere.
Same with my 62 Valiant, sometimes under Valiant Base, Valiant 200, Valiant Signet, or Dodge Lancer.

Hard to tell. The Plymouth was probably different than the Dodge but more than likely they are interchangeable along with lots of other parts.

It's hard to imagine all of the different designs, tooling, dies ect. that were used just for one year only. You have to remember that 1962 was a drastic transformation to what once was. One heck of a gamble and I'm sure the designers were falling all over themselves trying to pull it off.

Having five or six '62 Dodges right next to each other at Chryslers@Carslile the last couple of years has been rather educational. Comparing different features and suttle differences makes you wonder if the plants had to use part vendors in their immediate areas to get the job done.
View attachment 846072

This was one that a fellow '62 owner pointed out. The trunk key slot is off center on some and not others.
View attachment 846068

Also found a type of "herringbone" patteren trunk mat that was original to the car. (Joe Shucy has been working with ACC to have this pattern made)
View attachment 846075

You never know what you'll find with these '62s
My '62 Savoy doesn't have a pad on the passenger side, just painted metal.

IMG_20180227_120404.jpg

Your timing is impeccable! I just ordered my trunk mat yesterday after extensive researching.

My conclusion is nobody makes the correct pattern for the right application. Maybe for one exception that I found and that's the "Hash print". But you can't get it in a molded mat.

Like it has been discussed many times over, REM and ACC are the only two manufacturers of these mats. Each offer different patterns, some close to one another but only similar to the factory patterns and not exactly. (I'm researching 1962 only.)

I've found two original mats in the 1962 Dodge. A light Plaid and a Hash Print.

Original Plaid mat 1962 Dodge Dart.
View attachment 1581645

Original Hash Print 1962 Dodge Dart. Both pictures are from the same car. Lighting on the second picture looks blue but it's grayish. Picture of this pattern from a car at Chryslers at Carlisle that was original.
View attachment 1581646
View attachment 1581647

Picture from Chryslers at Carlisle Dodge.
View attachment 1581657

Online sample picture from REM
View attachment 1581656

When I bought my '62 someone had removed the trunk mat so I have no idea what it looked like. That's one of the reasons I tried to find out what was used. I have discovered these two patterns from the Hamtramck plant. I've seen both of these patterns used in the Plymouth B bodies also.

So my next question was will a mat advertised for a Plymouth be the same as a Dodge? You would think they are but they even advertise Belvedere separate from a Fury/Sport Fury. Why would they be different? I thought maybe it had to do with the patterns but they offer the same patterns for both. (The convertible vehicles take a different mat altogether.)

Most of REM mats are flat not molded. ACC mats are mostly molded but are thinner vinyl. Not the "table cloth" thin vinyl which is also out there. Talking with Joe Shusy, he was trying to get Rem to give ACC the Hash Print material so they could offer that in a molded mat. They won't do it.

So I happened to stumble across a Plaid Print, rubber mat from REM that is supposed to be molded. The only catch is it's for a '62 Plymouth Fury. I'll let everyone know how it fits the Dodge when I receive it. It's still in transit from Classic Industries in California. (They had the best price and it was in stock)
And if fits and if it is molded, there could be a good chance they can mold other patterns and offer them for the Dodge.
My original '62 Savoy has a plaid trunk mat.

IMG_20170723_165741_01a.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back