• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Satellite Tail Lamp - Poor Fitting

66 Sat

Local time
2:59 PM
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 66 Satellite that I am restoring. The tail lamps are a poor fit in the surrounds, with a small gap top and bottom between the chrome and the body coloured surround (probably 1/8"). Are they meant to be like this? If so should I seal with silicone to prevent water ingress? I've been trying to look at photos on the internet to see what others are like, but I can't see a real car as there aren't many in Australia....
I've attached a photo to assist. Thanks for you help.

Attachments

• 20150326_113912.jpg
    20150326_113912.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 154
here's another pic back from the paint shop. Doesn't show the tail lamps but at least the car looks a lot better:)

Attachments

• 20150407_162542.jpg
    20150407_162542.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 132
Hello 66SAT, she looks very nice!! I the paint code ZZ1 Looks like the same color as mine.PIC_0074.jpg I will tell you what happened with my bezels. On mine the left one wasn't fitting properly. Then I really got to looking at it and it was one for the right side. So someone had turned it upside down and placed it on the left side. in turn it ends up having gaps.

May not be an issue with yours, just a thought> Larry

Hello 66SAT, she looks very nice!! I the paint code ZZ1 Looks like the same color as mine.View attachment 254541 I will tell you what happened with my bezels. On mine the left one wasn't fitting properly. Then I really got to looking at it and it was one for the right side. So someone had turned it upside down and placed it on the left side. in turn it ends up having gaps.

May not be an issue with yours, just a thought> Larry

That does happen quite a bit as he has pointed out. However, I have found that the QC back when these cars were produced were less than stellar. I have the same occurring on my 66 Satellite and after repeated attempts at lining it up. I got it as close as I could. As long as it is the way it is on yours I seriously doubt that even the purists will take much notice. By the way nice ride...cr8crshr/Tuck

Pics of mine and they lined up nicely for me. I might have some extras of the bezel surround that I can get to you if interested. PM me if so

Attachments

• P9220164.jpg
    P9220164.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 112
  • P9220165.jpg
    P9220165.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 108
Mine are not a great fit either.....and I doubt anyone has ever had them out and I've had the car nearly 30 years.

Thanks for all your help guys, I think they are the correct way around (from the codes printed into the plastic) but I'll doublecheck on the weekend. I think it may just be the way they are and I'll have to seal them somehow.

Auto Transport Service
Back