• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 vs 67 Satellite/GTX Hood

dwdawg

Local time
7:50 AM
Reaction score
I've recently read that the 66 hoods are different than the 67 GTX hoods. I guess the area where the curve is for the headlight bezels are different? Question is will a 66 hood fit properly and clear the headlight bezels on a 67 GTX? TIA !

My understanding is that the understructure is the only difference. The 67 hoods have provisions for the attachment of hood scoops and the 66 hood does not.

That's what I was under the impression of. One of the threads here was saying something different. I want definite confirmation before I buy a 66 hood. Drilling holes for the scoops isn't a big deal. Thanks for the response!

You have to drill the underside of a 1966 hood for GTX scoops. 1967 has access holes stamped at factory, even on 4 doors and wagons.

As for the corners maybe someone who owns both a 1966 and 1967 can check this out and let us know.

@AR67GTX

My GTX is undergoing a full restoration and the original hood is a little tweaked so it doesn't fit flush with the fenders. My body man was going to make a template off my original hood and drill the holes in the 66...Hopefully that's the only difference! Hopefully someone with more info will chime in.

I think the corners of the hoods are different. Single headlight versus double headlight.
I have been corrected on this. Hood corners are the same.

Last edited:
Moldings are different for sure, 67 hood molding is wider. And my picture angles aren't exactly the same... And I'm too old to be swapping hoods by myself anymore... So the debate continues....

IMG_0931.JPG
IMG_0932.JPG

I think the corners of the hoods are different. Single headlight versus double headlight.
I have to disagree, I have both 66's and 67's
20190615_111506.jpg
20200212_125519.jpg

The inboard headlights have nothing to do with the hood, and the parking lights on the 66 are also contained in the grill. The 66 and 67 fenders are different.

I'm not at my building now but my friend that helps me out, just made a measurement for me. The inside measurement and outside measurements on the front of 66 and 67 hoods are exactly the same. I didn't ask what they were, but just if they were the same.

Thanks, Jerry. I stand corrected. Just points out there is still room for us "know-it-alls" to learn something new. LOL

Thanks, Jerry. I stand corrected. Just points out there is still room for us "know-it-alls" to learn something new. LOL
I kinda thought that's what this forum is all about. We learn from each other. There is great knowledge here. I've been corrected before and learned a lot of things. It makes us all better.

Thank You everyone for the comments and insight! I'd still like to find an original 67 GTX hood but that seems nearly impossible. I'll have to shoot a couple members that are here in Michigan a message and snatch me up a hood in the very near future as my car will be getting the metal work started very soon. Thanks again everyone! You guys Rock and Thanks to FBBO once Again !

Here's where we're at currently...I'll post more pics as the work progresses

IMG_3673(1).jpg

IMG_3369.jpg

Thank You! My body guy said it'd probably be cheaper for me to find another hood than repair mine cuz it's tweaked from an accident years ago and doesn't sit flush with the fenders. I guess it comes apart pretty easily once the spot welds are drilled out?

Thank You! My body guy said it'd probably be cheaper for me to find another hood than repair mine cuz it's tweaked from an accident years ago and doesn't sit flush with the fenders. I guess it comes apart pretty easily once the spot welds are drilled out?

if I remember correctly, there were 32 welds...... took me about an hour and a half to get them apart

I sandblasted the frame, and put the skin in a molasses bath for about a month; phosphoric acid and elbo grease would also work

IMG_20230427_180259724.jpg
IMG_20230427_180231936.jpg
IMG_20230427_184608224.jpg
IMG_20230427_191911418_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230603_195127356.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back