• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Charger headlight woes

67mag

Local time
5:13 AM
Reaction score
HI everyone, I am currently working on the dreaded headlight circuit on a 67 Charger. Years ago I had made a relay system that works independent from the original on a two way toggle but really would like to get it back up and running from the factory. Both my motors are working great, have replaced limit switches and relays direct from Topher:)( awesome guy!!!!) swapped the 30 amp breaker in the fender. On intitial try one started to roll then stopped and seem to be life from a relay that is clicking, I swapped the breaker for a NAPA 30 amp and then nothing. I did notice the plugs for the limit switches appear warm on the drivers side, I think I ruled out the switches being plugged in wrong as the plugs only reach so far. The only thing difference on this car is years ago I bypassed the ammeter in the dash. I have went back to my system for the time being but is there anyone in Ontario who works on these and is familiar with the first gen hideway gremlins?
Thanks a bundle!
Dave

HI everyone, I am currently working on the dreaded headlight circuit on a 67 Charger. Years ago I had made a relay system that works independent from the original on a two way toggle but really would like to get it back up and running from the factory. Both my motors are working great, have replaced limit switches and relays direct from Topher:)( awesome guy!!!!) swapped the 30 amp breaker in the fender. On intitial try one started to roll then stopped and seem to be life from a relay that is clicking, I swapped the breaker for a NAPA 30 amp and then nothing. I did notice the plugs for the limit switches appear warm on the drivers side, I think I ruled out the switches being plugged in wrong as the plugs only reach so far. The only thing difference on this car is years ago I bypassed the ammeter in the dash. I have went back to my system for the time being but is there anyone in Ontario who works on these and is familiar with the first gen hideway gremlins?
Thanks a bundle!
Dave
Ammeter should have nothing to do with it. About all the ammeter does is allow a post for a 12 volt feed to a relay. I am not versed on your system but with what you said about relay chatter tells me there is something wired wrong. I would start from scratch and begin by making sure both motors are good and to get them both in sync before retesting.

Thanks a bundle for the feedback! Thats good to know about the ammeter, I was afraid of having that much voltage in the dash with old wiring so out she went. I have never had this system going, back about 20 years ago my dad had told me the switches were bad but I dont think he cut or changed any wiring they were just always open. I will most certainly go back to the drawing board here, been studying the diagrams. They did start to work the first time I plugged everything back in so since I have the cluster out still I will dig deeper. Beauitiful 69 you have there by the way!!!

If you study the schematic in the service manual, the relays work in conjunction with the limit switches to control the motors.
You may have properly working motors and new limit switches, but if you got bad crimps or corrosion in the connectors you are likely to have problems.
How about the limit adjust screw on the headlight buckets, is it propererly adjusted unto the limit switches ? Many times these screws are frozen solid and can't be adjusted due to the dissimilar metals causing corrosion on the threads.

Thanks for the help! Yes I have been literally glued to the schematics here this week lol. The connectors on the car I have tried to clean up but that may be why the connector was warm on the drivers side may be shot and adding resistance. You nailed it with the adjust screws mine are not budging and have been soaking in some penetrating oil. I have beeen pondering snipping the cars connectors and adding new ones or maybe swap the headlight harness all together. Luckily I have them rigged to roll on a seperate switch still but will keep investigating further. I ordered a new headlight switch as well which I am going to pop in and see if that has any effect.
Thanks for the shout out!!!
Beautiful 66 you have!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back