• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 GTX Heat and AC Controls

67GTX440

Local time
4:01 PM
Reaction score
Car originally had part number 2587564. Was replaced at some time by 3895033. The parts look identical with the exception that the original has three connectors on the back side opposite the vacuum connections, two of which are joined together, and the other has three totally separate connectors.

Will part 3895033 work in place of 2587564, and if so which are the two connections to use?

NOS parts number 2587564 are available for $250-$300. I understand that these were being reproduced at some time, but do not know if they are still available.

orig ac cont.jpgnew ac control.jpg

I went crazy with this just recently. Is there anything wrong with yours? They can be repaired pretty easily. I took apart mine cleaned it up, greased the four sliders, and screwed it back together.

You can even repair the vacuum nipples with 1/8 pop rivets with out the nail in them.

Someone wrote up a great repair on this in either FBBO or FCBO. I tried to google, but can't find it right now.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?87346-1966-67-1968-74-Heater-Controllers-Disected-w-Pics&highlight=heater+controls

The 3895033 works, the connectors are slightly different. I Installed the old switch in a 71' New Yorker replacing the newer number, and it worked fine.

There's another too, but I can't find it now.

Thanks for the information.

I got an e-mail from Anthony Powell in Sherman, TX and he advised that no matter how similar these things look on the outside, they may be very different on the inside. The extra terminal on the outside of the case is not the only difference between the 67 and 68 controls. Although a different replacement may seem to work, the difference in the control may result in incorrect settings within the AC/Heater box.

He sent this prior thread that shows both controls dissected and the differences inside.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...ers-Disected-w-Pics&highlight=heater+controls

Thanks to Vfilms for going to the trouble of getting two separate controls from the 67 and 68 and documenting the insides. They are very different even when just one model year apart. This part supercedes that part may mean it is the new and improved version, but it does not necessarily mean it is a suitable replacement.

Allen Powell rebuilds these for $75 and replaces broken push button receptacles and vacuum nipples, as well as cleaning and lubricating the internals. His current email is a [email protected]. His recommendation is to use the correct part number for the car. If you can get a NOS one, it will probably be okay even if almost 50 years old. A used one will most likely need to be rebuilt after all this time if the buttons do not work freely. Your old one can be rebuilt for $75, even if all the push button receptacles and vacuum nipples are missing.

A NOS one for my car is $300+ and hard to come by. I am going for the rebuild and using the correct part. After all the money I have spent on getting the factory AC back in working order, I am not going to cheap out now and screw up my new wiring harness trying to wire up the wrong control, or end up with the AC not working correctly and having to pull the dash apart again.

Thanks to everyone who responded to me on this.

Don

I went crazy with this just recently. Is there anything wrong with yours? They can be repaired pretty easily. I took apart mine cleaned it up, greased the four sliders, and screwed it back together.

You can even repair the vacuum nipples with 1/8 pop rivets with out the nail in them.

Someone wrote up a great repair on this in either FBBO or FCBO. I tried to google, but can't find it right now.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...ers-Disected-w-Pics&highlight=heater+controls

WS27 this post of yours as always is a really big help, thanks for always making your knowledge available.

WS27 this post of yours as always is a really big help, thanks for always making your knowledge available.

You are very welcome, I believe in sharing information, but I'm far from perfect. I'm always open to learning more.

Auto Transport Service
Back