• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger Rat Hole

JPWally

Local time
6:43 PM
Reaction score
Hello members ---- When trying to reinstall the original belt-line molding at the C-pillar, I see quite a large gap/hole at the end of the roof gutter that I assume needs to be filled. I tore the car apart for restoration but I failed to observe if there was some type of filler or sealer the factory used in this spot. Perhaps the foam sealing strip from the roof rail molding seals this area also? This car will receive a vinyl top and the vinyl will cover the gap/hole but I assume I should be filling-in this rather large gap. NOTE: quarter panels are AMD and the molding is OEM. Thanks for your comments!

Charger Trim Gap 1.JPG

Charger trim Gap 2.JPG

I noticed that same issue when I built my 68 Charger back in 2014. If I remember correctly, I used some air seal (kinda like play dough) to fill in that gap. I think it is a common problem but I have not had a problem with mine. My car has a vinyl top so that may have helped fill that gap also. I know it's not much help but it does tell you that you are not alone.

Mine did not seem as large. I also have a vinyl top. I did use 3M strip caulk and sealed them up.

Be nice to see an original car and how it was done. Would putty make it through the warranty period?

Seems all the water that runs down the gutter will go inside the quarter panel. Would be full of water, then ice, then rust.

Maybe that why the Chargers had much bigger water shields inside the quarters compared to a coronet.

Charger top, coronet bottom. Both drivers side, see front part same, another 6” of material added to rear of Charger piece.

DB47265D-B0F0-4843-BB59-C59B829FCD88.jpeg

Last edited:
It was just packed with dum- dum from factory.

Here is a 70 ply 2 door B-body original paint car.

Also has a gap and can see the backside of the corner piece.

2641AFDB-2395-4083-ADD0-41302610F43E.png

Be nice to see an original car and how it was done. Would putty make it through the warranty period?

Seems all the water that runs down the gutter will go inside the quarter panel. Would be full of water, then ice, then rust.

Maybe that why the Chargers had much bigger water shields inside the quarters compared to a coronet.

Charger top, coronet bottom. Both drivers side, see front part same, another 6” of material added to rear of Charger piece.

View attachment 1541024
My 68 Charger had the smaller barriers. Still does. Maybe the newer cars got the larger barrier. Here are pics of both sides of mine. Leak free since 2014 but my car don't see much of the elements. Maybe RC could take a pic of an unrestored car.

100_1218.JPG

100_1219.JPG

These are pictures of my all original 68 charger...my car is a vinal top car

IMG_20231016_172223339.jpg

IMG_20231016_172318643.jpg

Thanks all for your comments and pics of your cars. I feel a bit better knowing this is a factory configuration that just needs to be sealed properly with a good seam sealer or similar. I did find the water shields mentioned by R413 and I will reinstall them.

As a follow-up question ----- how do you suppose the factory sealed-up that rather large gap when there was no vinyl top (like on R413's car)? It is in a very visible location so the filler/putty must have been in place (but not the c-pillar molding) during the painting ??

Interested to find out what to do on a non-vinyl roof car as well with this gap. As I'm fitting my trim as I work on the body, the gap behind the curved piece was a "holy crap - what did I screw up here" moment. Does anyone have a pic of a non-vinyl roof car all finished or an original unaltered pic of this condition would be great to post here? Thanks in advance!

Auto Transport Service
Back