• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 RR Fuel Filller Neck Replacement

Hemibird

Local time
12:48 AM
Reaction score
Need to replace the Fuel Filler Neck on my 68 RR. It is the original and the tines are worn and bent out to the point the gas cap won't seal. Currently have a second gasket on there for a better seal, but still leaks.

Anybody know of a step by step video or set of instructions showing the process? Been searching various forums and U-Tube for a while now. Can it be replaced without removing the tank?

Thanks in advance.

It can be replaced with the tank in place. There’s one bolt for the bracket on the neck then it pulls out with some persuasion. I would replace the seal as well while you there.

Thanks ... I have a new filler neck & seal on the way. Took a close look and it seems like if I can get a grip on it, I can pull it straight out. Been wondering if there was some sort of lube to use so the new one slides in and doesnt move/damage the new seal as Im puttin the new neck in.

I use a little lithium grease when installing the neck in to a new seal.

When I replaced the tank on my '66, the filler tube was a bear to install. The only way I could get the tube through the new seal was to remove the tank and use silicone spray. I hope your luck is better than mine was. I used an aftermarket tank, so that might make a difference.

When I replaced the tank on my '66, the filler tube was a bear to install. The only way I could get the tube through the new seal was to remove the tank and use silicone spray. I hope your luck is better than mine was. I used an aftermarket tank, so that might make a difference.
Thanks for the heads up. Mine is the original tank and fille ... but obviously the new filler is a reproduction. I'll run it down so there is very little fuel in it, in case I need to drop the tank.

I'm still trying a variety of keyword searches to see if there is a video of someone doing an actual replacement on a Satellite/Roadrunner/Coronet with a similar set-up (Behind the license plate filler). Chargers have the filler on top of the quarter panel, although I imagine the process is similar.

Auto Transport Service
Back