• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger Power Window relay location & kick panel wire cover

mnewell337@gmai

Local time
10:29 PM
Reaction score
I am finally connecting all those wires under my 69 Charger dash and trying to make sense of all the relays, and flashers. I have most of it figured out finally, but am curious about 2 things.

#1 Can anyone with 69 B-Body Power Windows tell me the correct location to mount the under dash relay? I believe that it mounts on the bottom edge of the dash frame to the left of the steering column, but there are several holes there to choose from.

#2 For the plastic wire loom that gets mounted underneath the driver side kick panel, what fastens it in place? Bolts, clips, or screws? Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Mike

3-3-2023 2-28-39 PM.jpg

3-3-2023 2-29-24 PM.jpg

The wire loom protector fastens to the inner cowl with two plastic christmas tree type fasteners. On the relay. Are you sure it is for power windows? Reason I ask my FSM does not show it. All it shows is a 12 gauge tan wire to I believe instrument panel wirring. What color wires are on the relay?

The wire loom protector fastens to the inner cowl with two plastic christmas tree type fasteners. On the relay. Are you sure it is for power windows? Reason I ask my FSM does not show it. All it shows is a 12 gauge tan wire to I believe instrument panel wirring. What color wires are on the relay?
Yes, it is for the power windows, and connects to an ammeter post for power.

Yes, it is for the power windows, and connects to an ammeter post for power.
I figured that there was more to it. My 70 FSM shows a safety relay in that area. The relay is laying flat with the connector side facing the fire wall. I believe it should be this hole.

100_0459ccc.jpg

Not sure on which hole, but Panora picture looks right. I think the relay bracket/body is used for the ground connection.
The relay just disconnects window power when the ignition switch if off. There should be a circuit breaker at the ammeter that the relay gets power from.
You can add relays to the window motors too. It takes the load off the switches and usually makes the windows operate faster (better connections.)

Picture of my wiring. I don't see a circuit breaker in the assembly. I had thought that the larger RED wire hooked up directly to the ammeter, but the wire does not appear to be long enough to reach the ammeter location (if the relay is mounted on the bottom of the dash frame adjacent to the A/C duct). More research has identified a threaded post type CB/Fuse that I may be missing.

However, one of my other projects in rebuilding the car was to remove the ammeter, splice the red/black wires together, and install a Voltmeter. So now I need an alternate power source for the power windows.

I ran a dedicated wire off the positive battery terminal into the interior of the car, will terminate a 4 terminal fuse panel, and plan to connect the power windows to a fused connection. Additionally, I also plan on connecting power for heated seats on a second terminal of the new fuse panel.

Any suggestions on the size fuse I should use for the power windows?

Thanks again for those supplying all the great answers and suggestions!

Mike
3-4-2023 7-27-59 AM.jpg
3-5-2023 8-15-26 AM.jpg

The wire you marked dash lighting is going to be your 12 volt ignition keyed feed. It must go to another componet that is unplugged and the connectors act as a jumper. I know I have a diagram somewhere and I just need to find it. Like I said the FSM likes to make it hard like its top security.

The wire you marked dash lighting is going to be your 12 volt ignition keyed feed. It must go to another componet that is unplugged and the connectors act as a jumper. I know I have a diagram somewhere and I just need to find it. Like I said the FSM likes to make it hard like its top security.
Agreed on the wire identified as lighting connection (another Mopar affectionado labeled my pic in response as to where the wires went) and it did not make sense to me why the light circuit would have any input into the power windows.

That said, every answer that I have received in response to the multitude of questions that I have posted on these forums have helped me along the way of putting my car back together.

So Again, Thanks to all!

Mike

I was able to find the information in the wiring under Coronet. So the relay is fed constant 12 volts from a circuit breaker that hangs off the ammeter. The relay must be grounded. The keyed 12 volt source is piggybacked on the radio feed connector. The remaining wire 12ga. Tan goes to the window harness. Fuse wise I would go with a 15 and see if it holds. There may of been reasons for the breaker. Information wise that same breaker also fed the convertible top and rear window on a wagon.

circuit breaker is likely used for when you continue to hold the button after the window stopped moving?
you can get a circuit breaker that plugs into the fuse holder.
I put a switch on my relay so I could lock-out the power windows while driving, like on most modern cars.

Auto Transport Service
Back