• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Coronet front brake conversion

NOSTRT980

Local time
6:12 AM
Reaction score
I am converting the drum to the 74 dart front disc setup. My question is, when I put the spindles on in the same direction as they are on the dart with the caliper towards the front. Turn the wheel and the inside of the spindle hits the sway bar bracket on the lower part of the LCA. I don't want to cut off the brackets from the lower control arm. Can the spindles be changed from right to left, putting the calipers to the rear.

Heck yeah, it is also an opportunity to swap to the better 1976-89 Calipers with the larger piston. The 74-75 A body used a 2.6" piston, the later ones use a 2.75 for MORE brake force. You can keep the ones you have but make sure to mount them so the bleeder valves are UP.
I always run the calipers toward the rear whether I use A body spindle/knuckles or the more common Aspen/Volare/Diplomat/Fifth Avenue versions.

As with any kind of brake swap, make sure your hoses do not kink, twist or rub, throughout all points of steering and suspension travel.

The calipers go to the rear, I just put E body calipers on a 69 Ply wagon using Dr. Diff's spindles. Make sure the bleeder is at the top.

Calipers to the rear . on another note check stud length to make sure lug nuts fit I found out the hard way that's the reason for my upgrade

0909201311a.jpg

In ‘70 they relocated the sway bar inward and moved to front mounted calipers. As stated above just swap sides and pay attention to the brake hose routing so they don’t kink or get pinched anywhere.

Auto Transport Service
Back