• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Ply Wagon Tailgate issues

70chall440

Local time
11:22 AM
Reaction score
I believe most of this era of wagon is similar (could be wrong, not sure), but this is a manual window model and has a lever at the top right that when the window is down, you can push to the right to make the tailgate open as a door (swings open to the left) or push to the left and the tailgate opens like a pickup tailgate. On the car I am working on now, the tailgate will open like a door, but I cannot get it to open like a tailgate. I have removed the inner panel to look at the mechanisms and there is a rod that runs to the left latch but it will not move. I do see the "locking" mechanism that the window pushes down (window doesn't touch it now, I suspect there was a rubber piece on there or something originally) and pushing it down doesn't seem to have an effect on anything. I suspect the mechanism itself is frozen up and have sprayed it down with some penetrating oil.

I am just wondering if I am missing something. This tailgate is pretty rusty on the bottom, doesn't look bad from the outside but needs some help for sure. My client is trying to find a replacement but so far nothing better than what is there now.

Appreciate any advice or suggestions.

there is a rod that runs to the left latch but it will not move.

That's likely it. This is a Satellite wagon I assume? The Full-size Fury wagons were odd with the tailgate in 69-71: No outside handle, key only. The only handle is inside. To open, the glass had to be fully down. The latch mechanism was hand altered at the factory by the handle inside - lock mechanism wired out with tie wire.

This is a Belvedere wagon (should have said the in the first post). This has a lever at the top of the tailgate that slides left and right. I will get some pictures and post them.

There is a lot going on inside one of those tailgates.
upload_2020-4-4_9-3-50.png

upload_2020-4-4_9-4-47.png

Auto Transport Service
Back