• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 roadrunner hood inserts

blue69runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:41 PM
Reaction score
So, I bought my 69 roadrunner, and I am being told that it has the 68 hood inserts on it. Found the correct set of inserts non air grabber. The question is will those fit on my 68 hood. My Runner is an early production car so they put the 68 hood on them for some reason. Don't want to buy some thing that wont work. Thanks for any info.

You have a '69 Road Runner with a '68 hood on it? I doubt it came from the factory that way.

The '68 & '69 hood inserts are totally different and are not interchangeable.

Can't tell from the avatar photo, but anything's possible as far as changes on a 50+ year old car. Early '68 hoods have no scoop openings, just punched for the bezels. Later ones have the punched rectangular openings that '69s have. I think the bezels will interchange but they and the inserts ('68 callouts or '69 block-offs/screens) are indeed completely different. It'll help if you post photos.

I have a 68 with the 69 inserts and hood that came with the car as a project. I have heard that the hoods are different in the latch positions. Looks like the hood is punched for the Air Grabber and has holes punched where it would attach. Are you saying the Bezels wont swap between the 2 years? I would like to put the correct for 68s on but not at the cost of a new hood.

IMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

About 35 years ago I tried swapping a '69 hood on to a '68 I'd bought, and the secondary latch IIRC was in a different location. I don't recall if I swapped the scoop bezels.
Since I have a '68 and a '69, when I get time I'll measure latch locations and SWAG the scoop-bezel deal and post what I find. That area seems to have the same contours both years.
My '68 has a hood pad and my '69 has the Air Grabber, so I'm not going to try swapping the scoops, haha...

Found a set of inserts for the hood. Will find out if things will switch out. Thanks for the input from all you guys. Blue.

Had time to compare my '68 & '69 latch locations. The latch bars and upper grille support panel differ, '68 locates 1/2" further forward from upper rad support (aka yoke).
Measuring from left (driver's side) hood edge, the latch bar on hood is 26 1/2" and '69 is 27", at center of the bar. '69 bar loops back further than '68. The secondary latch measures 23 3/8" on the '68, 23 3/4" on the '69, at their centers. '68 is Lynch RD, SPD 2/12/68 and '69 is St. Louis, SPD 2/12/69 - yup, a year apart. The '68 is the earlier hood with no punches for AG.

Thanks for the info. Will get these new ones painted and put on the car. For now, will just drive the wheels off it. LOL.

Auto Transport Service
Back