• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Road Runner front drum brake question...

weedy01

Local time
5:54 AM
Reaction score
My car has manual drum brakes, I am finishing up a full restoration, I have new front wheel cylinders and the threads for the flexible brake lines are bigger than the threads on the brake line, anyone else encountered this? Both parts appear to be correct for the car, but they obviously aren't. Do I have the wrong wheel cylinders or the wrong lines?

My car has manual drum brakes, I am finishing up a full restoration, I have new front wheel cylinders and the threads for the flexible brake lines are bigger than the threads on the brake line, anyone else encountered this? Both parts appear to be correct for the car, but they obviously aren't. Do I have the wrong wheel cylinders or the wrong lines?
Any one have a crystal ball. 10 or 11 inch? Maybe if you posted the part numbers someone could answer your question.

Last edited:
Don’t need a crystal ball &
Don’t need to know 10 “ vs. 11 “
For your / these questions….

The 1962 - 1969 Front Wheel Cylinders have a “ football shaped oval “ that go through the backing plate….
Their brake hoses, through the years have a 7 / 16 “ - 20 thread, that threads directly into the wheel cylinder….

The 1970 - 1972 Front Wheel Cylinders have a “ large square shaped “ opening that goes through the backing plate…..
They shrunk the brake hose, to increase the pressure, to a 3/8 “ - 24 thread, that threads into the wheel cylinder….
——————————-

So based on what you are saying, you received a
1970 - 1972 wheel cylinder, however you received a
1967 - 1969 brake hose, and hence,
the brake hose is “ too fat / too big “ to fit into the wheel
cylinder…..

I am positive that I am correct ( no crystal ball required !! )
You can let me know that I nailed it ( quite easily, actually)…

And ——- if you want to simply return their Chineseum garbage, I have plenty of all of that in stock… all ** U S A**
Made, and the Front Wheel Cylinder will actually be an original MOPAR in a MOPAR box, at NO EXTRA CHARGE !!!

Always best to simply call me —- so P.M. me, as per forum rules, if interested….. Craig …..

I can tell you from personal experience with Craig ^^^^ your call to him will be the best thing you did all day !

Don’t need a crystal ball &
Don’t need to know 10 “ vs. 11 “
For your / these questions….

The 1962 - 1969 Front Wheel Cylinders have a “ football shaped oval “ that go through the backing plate….
Their brake hoses, through the years have a 7 / 16 “ - 20 thread, that threads directly into the wheel cylinder….

The 1970 - 1972 Front Wheel Cylinders have a “ large square shaped “ opening that goes through the backing plate…..
They shrunk the brake hose, to increase the pressure, to a 3/8 “ - 24 thread, that threads into the wheel cylinder….
——————————-

So based on what you are saying, you received a
1970 - 1972 wheel cylinder, however you received a
1967 - 1969 brake hose, and hence,
the brake hose is “ too fat / too big “ to fit into the wheel
cylinder…..

I am positive that I am correct ( no crystal ball required !! )
You can let me know that I nailed it ( quite easily, actually)…

And ——- if you want to simply return their Chineseum garbage, I have plenty of all of that in stock… all ** U S A**
Made, and the Front Wheel Cylinder will actually be an original MOPAR in a MOPAR box, at NO EXTRA CHARGE !!!

Always best to simply call me —- so P.M. me, as per forum rules, if interested….. Craig …..
Thats great you have all that info in your head. In order for most anyone else to answer they would need to see what parts he used. Once the poster states what he use a reasonable conclusion can be made to help solve his problem. Dis my response if you may. Without knowing that the crystal ball might have to come out.

^^^ pnora ^^^ ,
Now you know why everyone calls me... Such that they don't have to deal with idiots, wrong parts, and Chineseum garbage..

I have been involved in antique automotive for 53 years, have 500,000,000 ( that's 500 Billion ) part numbers committed to memory, God gave me some unbelievable recall power and memory and brain power..... I have a plethora of catalogs --- and know waaaaaay waaaaay more than just the catalogs ---- and that saves a lot of time at car shows, etc., etc...

I can identify EVERY BRAKE SHOE from # 1 through # 366 and more, just by you handing me a loose one --- I am the ONLY ONE on the planet who can do that..... Awesome, E H ???

I limit myself to one (1) mistake a year --- mistakes cost M E money --- and I have gone 7, soon to be 8, years since my last error...
( and that error was not having plucked the 2nd motor mount ( 1 on the counter ) from under the counter --- so, of course, I had to
send him the 2nd for FREE --- I had to eat the $ 12......)

Craig......

I did my front and rear drums on my 70 Road Runner. All of the parts including master cylinder I was able to buy from my local auto parts store. The brakes line I just made myself by using the factory diagrams to get as close looking as factory and as mentioned above I believe it was 3/8-24 flare fittings that I used into the wheel cylinders.

^^^ 6PKRTSE ^^^
Did you at least get a FREE Egg Roll with all of that ??? ( L O L ) !!!

Auto Transport Service
Back