• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 RR cowl to door alignment?

MGKelly

Local time
4:12 PM
Reaction score
I in the process of getting the metal work done on my 70 Roadrunner and trying to making sure panels line up before I make the permanent welds.
I need some pictures of the correct cowl to door and fender alignment.
What I have is low probably 1/16 or so and the door has to come up a bit (circled in red in the posted pictures).
Can someone post pictures of correct alignment?

cowl11.jpg

cowl22.jpg

Its also about door to rocker, and door to quarter gaps. Is something stopping you from raising the door?

Here are the best pics I have....
IMG_1574.JPG
IMG_1881.JPG

Hope that helps with the gaps.

RGAZ

I can raise the door is not a problem, when i move the door up the gap for the rocker increases.
I'd like to see some pictures for what is acceptable. I assume the cowl to door should be flush.

Its also about door to rocker, and door to quarter gaps. Is something stopping you from raising the door?

i do all that with the hood and fenders on the car........the width of the hood dictates fender gaps which help align doors

but these may help

20210220_122023.jpg

20210220_122030.jpg

20210220_122129.jpg

I can raise the door is not a problem, when i move the door up the gap for the rocker increases.
I'd like to see some pictures for what is acceptable. I assume the cowl to door should be flush.

door to rocker gap size is least important as long as it is parallel ......... top of door to top of quarter, and body lines on door and quarter are most important

as said in another thread, door to rocker gap tends to be 7/16 ish

RGAZ,
Do you have the measurement of the gap on the door bottom to rocker panel on those ca

thanks, J

Here are the best pics I have....

Hope that helps with the gaps.

RGAZ

Very helpful! Thank you very much for the info!!!!

door to rocker gap size is least important as long as it is parallel ......... top of door to top of quarter, and body lines on door and quarter are most important

Exactly. In the shop, we used to use the measurement of "close enough". These cars weren't built with the precision you younger people are familiar with these days.

if you want nice lines like these other guys have your going to have to mount the fenders and hood to make sure you don't get out of square , I guess your putting a quarter panel on, if your too far forward or back it will show in your hood lines

Very helpful! Thank you very much for the info!!!!

when you get there........ notice the hood to cowl gap is wider than door to cowl gap, therefore the fender to cowl gap "shrinks" a bit as it rounds the corner from hood to door

the hood must also be even with the fenders at the front, everything affects everything else, and now is the time to dial it all in; dont wait till its all painted

Get the fenders and hood on and fit everything to everything else. The door to cowl fit will take care of itself when everything else is fitting.

I do not have that measurement, but the advice here is spot-on. Follow it.

RGAZ

Auto Transport Service
Back