• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 GTX QUESTION

Cawley

Local time
9:40 PM
Reaction score
I have a guy who will be bringing his 71 GTX to me for body & paint. Its purple with white interior. He says its an highly optioned car with 2 fender tags. When he bought it it had a white vinyl top. He took the top off & seen that the roof was painted. All the ones ive seen were just primer under the vinyl. Also the fender tags dont show the code for the vinyl top. Couldve the factory put the top on at last minute ? Could it be an aftermarket top.

Possible Dealer Installed. Common in the 60's -80's.
We would send out cars from the Dodge Dealership for tops. Full,Half and Quarter tops.
Get this, some Demons got "Port Holes'' that were popular back then.

Sounds like the top was put on after it left the factory. As said putting on aftermarket vinyl tops was big business back in the day. If the roof seams were all filled and finished along with the paint tells me the car left the factory as a painted roof.

What is the first code on the 3rd line up from the bottom on the full tag? This will tell if the factory the painted the top a color or some type of vinyl top.

AFC9BFED-7951-4991-BEF1-F9C7742ED2C2.png

R6 - body color
R6 - roof color
1X - vinyl top

The top color or vinyl top is coded is the same position for 71 but as 71 GTX's were not built at Lynch Road, that tag is not directly applicable to the question.
I was merely trying to state that it is possible to have intentional color under the vinyl besides primer as OP mentioned.

However I wasn’t aware of the potential for a discrepancy with Lynch Rd nor ‘71 GTX here as you stated. Appreciate you pulling me over about that. Always learning something new around here.

I apologize if this caused any confusion.

Auto Transport Service
Back