• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 shifter linkage

Garand-chan

Local time
10:12 AM
Reaction score
I just got paid, so I’m going to start getting together parts to do a four speed swap on my ‘72 Charger non-console, starting with shifter, shifter rods, and levers. Stylistically, I would prefer a relatively early Hurst shifter with the white ball, but I have no idea if it would work. I have Jamie Passon’s book on the a833, but I can’t seem to find much about that. I assume it would hit the dash in 1st, 3rd, and reverse. Regarding rods, the book says, “The ‘71 to ‘74 B-body beach-seat cars used the front shifter mount location. This required a special set of linkage rods that differ from all other ones.” It also says that the correct levers for my car would be 147 for first and second, 146 for third and fourth, and 148 for reverse. Is this all correct? Going into this, I kind of assumed I could get a shifter setup from any other non-console B body and call it good.

I should also note that the trans that I have is a really early (I think 1964) a833 with only the front shifter mount and the ball and trunnions u joint.

I just got paid, so I’m going to start getting together parts to do a four speed swap on my ‘72 Charger non-console, starting with shifter, shifter rods, and levers. Stylistically, I would prefer a relatively early Hurst shifter with the white ball, but I have no idea if it would work. I have Jamie Passon’s book on the a833, but I can’t seem to find much about that. I assume it would hit the dash in 1st, 3rd, and reverse. Regarding rods, the book says, “The ‘71 to ‘74 B-body beach-seat cars used the front shifter mount location. This required a special set of linkage rods that differ from all other ones.” It also says that the correct levers for my car would be 147 for first and second, 146 for third and fourth, and 148 for reverse. Is this all correct? Going into this, I kind of assumed I could get a shifter setup from any other non-console B body and call it good.

If you’re going with the ‘71-74 factory 4-speed bump you will also need the steel “dog bone” shifter plate to mount the shifter to. I have 72 Charger 4 speed bench and the shifter body top sits right at the lip of the hole, the boot actually covers part of the shifter. Although mine came with a pistol grip, I would venture to say that the standard A body bench shifter would work fine. It’s shaped to go around the seat bottom, but I don’t think it would go back that far. Next time I'm in the shop I’ll grab an A body shifter handle and mock it up to the shifter in the Charger and see what it looks like.

Last edited:
If you’re going with the ‘71-74 factory 4-speed bump you will also need the steel “dog bone” shifter plate to mount the shifter to. I have 72 Charger 4 speed bench and the shifter body top sits right at the lip of the hole, the boot actually covers part of the shifter. Although mine came with a pistol grip, I would venture to say that the standard A body bench shifter would work fine. It’s shaped to go around the seat bottom, but I don’t think it would go back that far. Next time I'm in the shop I’ll grab an A body shifter handle and mock it up to the shifter in the Charger and see what it looks like.
Very cool, thank you. While looking for options, I noticed Holley sells new Hurst Competition/Plus shifters, along with the rods, levers, and mounting plate and they CLAIM that it works with all 1966 to 1972 Chargers. With or without console. I went ahead and got the installation kit with rods and levers and stuff but haven’t bought the shifter yet. I sprung on it mainly because they clearly claim that it would work for my application and I really wanted a white ball shifter. Regardless, what’s a “dog bone” shifter plate? Is it different from the plate that comes with the installation kit, P/N 3734089?

Never mind, I found it on Brewer’s. But what does it do and why is it necessary? Does it just move the shifter location back a little, meaning I’d need longer rods?

Never mind, I found it on Brewer’s. But what does it do and why is it necessary? Does it just move the shifter location back a little, meaning I’d need longer rods?

Yes, it moves your shifter back from the front mount about 4 inches (I’m guessing here, never measured), up and between the two mounts on the ‘70-74 B/E body tail shaft. Otherwise you shifter would come up under the dash. Plus the shifter is set up to go to the drivers side (using the mount, shift lever is still short and strait) on a bench so as to a person can sit in the middle.

It all depends on what your 72 Charger is set up as. If it’s a bench seat car it will need the dog bone and a 4-speed hump/tunnel for bench seat, and this setup requires the front mount position on the tail shaft housing. If you car has buckets it uses the longer tunnel requiring the rear mount position on the tail shaft like the E body cars. Sounds like the shifter kit you purchased is for the later setup.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the forward shifter setup. Your early trans with the forward mount will work. You will need the dog bone, correct shifter and rods. A shifter handle with a ball that sweeps back should work just fine. I prefer the pistol grip.

IMG_0498.JPG

Here is a pic of the forward shifter setup. Your early trans with the forward mount will work. You will need the dog bone, correct shifter and rods. A shifter handle with a ball that sweeps back should work just fine. I prefer the pistol grip.

View attachment 1065919
Good pic of a complete ‘71-74 B body bench set up! :)

I also prefer the pistol grip on these years. But I do prefer a plain round ball on the ‘68-70 B bodies, although I’ve been know to use the hurst T handle occasionally as well.

Good pic of a complete ‘71-74 B body bench set up! :)

I also prefer the pistol grip on these years. But I do prefer a plain round ball on the ‘68-70 B bodies, although I’ve been know to use the hurst T handle occasionally as well.

Going in my 71 Charger SE with buckets and a buddy seat.

Yes, it moves your shifter back from the front mount about 4 inches (I’m guessing here, never measured), up and between the two mounts on the ‘70-74 B/E body tail shaft. Otherwise you shifter would come up under the dash. Plus the shifter is set up to go to the drivers side (using the mount, shift lever is still short and strait) on a bench so as to a person can sit in the middle.

It all depends on what your 72 Charger is set up as. If it’s a bench seat car it will need the dog bone and a 4-speed hump/tunnel for bench seat, and this setup requires the front mount position on the tail shaft housing. If you car has buckets it uses the longer tunnel requiring the rear mount position on the tail shaft like the E body cars. Sounds like the shifter kit you purchased is for the later setup.

View attachment 1065919
Super, super useful information. I’m so glad I joined this site. I guess I’ll return the unopened installation kit and get the correct stuff from Brewer’s. Would a regular ‘68 to ‘70 B body non-console shifter like the one pictured work fine with the dog bone setup?

D4665E1E-49A3-4920-A84B-467F7F6BDAC7.jpeg

Super, super useful information. I’m so glad I joined this site. I guess I’ll return the unopened installation kit and get the correct stuff from Brewer’s. Would a regular ‘68 to ‘70 B body non-console shifter like the one pictured work fine with the dog bone setup?

View attachment 1066084
That’s the same shifter assembly that’s in my 69 Road Runner. It may be too tall, but it looks like it may work.

Here’s a pic of what the standard 72 b body bench set up looks like. Underneath the boot area is about where the shifter base sits, at least most of it anyways. You can kinda see where that 69 shifter would end up being.

4spd-bench-pistolgrip.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back