• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Slips out of 3rd

Rishi

Local time
10:36 AM
Reaction score
My son rebuilt his first A727 transmission last week. I've done 5-6 of these over the last decade or so. He's watched and assisted on the last few. He wanted to do this one for his own car by himself, and although I was salivating to help, I backed away and gave him the freedom, tools and service books to run with it. He went with a full B&M Trans Kit and the Hemi 5.0 kick down lever.

He's test driving it and it has an issue. He's gonna drop it today, and bring it over, this week, for my help. I'd like to get in front of the problem and have some idea where to look.

When cold, it shifts just fine and all appears functioning. The throttle pressure linkage was adjusted prior to service. It seems to upshift and downshift correctly.

However, when warmed up and/or hot, it falls back from third to second gear. It does so in varying throttle positions, freeway or back road. Letting it cool for 8-10 hours, it runs fine again. But when hot, again slips out of third. He called me after his third day of this happening. When coming to a stop, it starts out fine in 1st, then 2nd, but won't go in to 3rd. Downshifts fine from 3rd to 2nd (when cool/cold) and 2nd to 1st (all conditions)

I suspect he nicked the front clutch pack seal on assembly. Normally, I would just rebuilt the whole transmission, and replace all the seals and rings, since we are tearing it down, anyway. But I'm concerned he may feel that "he didn't do anything right, and he didn't do any of it good enough."

I don't believe I'm seeing this precise issue in the FSM troubleshooting section. I'm going to sit down and go through it again before he comes next week

So I'm looking for some second opinions to help me focus on where to look. I've been lucky and never needed to test line pressures in my rebuilds, but that was one thought I had.

Last edited:
At least you can put air to it and test the seals when it's on the bench.
Here are some others who had similar issues:

I'd be looking at the linkage adjustment. If the clutch seal was damaged it would slip in 3rd not downshift to 2nd.
Doug

worn bore or valve in valvebody can cause that. you can drop the valvebody and air test the clutch seals before removing the trans.

Had one do that and it was the governor sealing rings.

Tough to say, but the 5.0 ratio lever is suspect. Might have bent the apply strut.
Not saying that is the problem.

Two components must change apply/release to shift back to 2nd. The high gear clutch must release and the KD band must apply. Either throttle pressure has to increase or the manual valve has to physically move. At cruise governor pressure shouldn't be an issue as throttle pressure is low at minimum throttle opening.
Doug

Two components must change apply/release to shift back to 2nd. The high gear clutch must release and the KD band must apply. Either throttle pressure has to increase or the manual valve has to physically move. At cruise governor pressure shouldn't be an issue as throttle pressure is low at minimum throttle opening.
Doug
I wondered if he was running a 1 hole filter on a 2 hole valve body, but he won't tell me what year car he is working on. Nothing worse than trying to help, with little response.

I wondered if he was running a 1 hole filter on a 2 hole valve body, but he won't tell me what year car he is working on. Nothing worse than trying to help, with little response.
I even got a drive by RED X when there was literally nothing to disagree with lol.
Those are the best.

What did he adjust the front band to? Actually it could be too much throttle pressure as u stated it was adjusted b4 the rebuild. Things can get outta wack pretty fast. Kim

Since it only occurs with a hot transmission, you would say something is internally leaking on the valve body.
When the oil is still cold it does not leak fast enough to happen but once hot the oil pressure in not able to be maintained.

Like Doug already stated, there is a clutch and a band that need to function to go from 3rd to 2nd gear.
It is hard to believe both are having an issue that causes this, more likely the issue comes from 2-3 shift valve.
If he used a B&M shift kit as well, double check the kit is the correct one for the construction year of the trans/valve body.
He could have an early or later model valve body than the transmission itself as well, that could mess it up big time since there are some differences between the years.

Auto Transport Service
Back