• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Tranmission Fluid

hanks73340

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:30 PM
Reaction score
I have read previous threads on this and now I have hair growing out of my ears. SO........What about Dextron III? I just got my trans kit and want to change the filter, gasket and helicoil a couple of bolts. Have a 727 trans and sometimes it shifts hard.

RemCharger is correct about the my head exploding. Seem like no 2 people using the same fluids

Dextron III and ATF-4 are fine to use.
Tell you a story from 1973 at a Direct Connection seminar.
Question was asked about using Type F in Torque Flites.
Answer was Type F has a higher friction point than Dextron II
The engineer from Chrysler stated, "Type F is great for a performance application.Dextron II was developed for the guy driving the Imperial and didn't want to spill his coffee on the way to the office". This statement has stayed with me for 50 years.
A hard shift may be as simple as adjusting your kick down linkage.
So you want a softer shift,reread the first sentence.:lol:

Dextron III and ATF-4 are fine to use.
Tell you a story from 1973 at a Direct Connection seminar.
Question was asked about using Type F in Torque Flites.
Answer was Type F has a higher friction point than Dextron II
The engineer from Chrysler stated, "Type F is great for a performance application.Dextron II was developed for the guy driving the Imperial and didn't want to spill his coffee on the way to the office". This statement has stayed with me for 50 years.
A hard shift may be as simple as adjusting your kick down linkage.
So you want a softer shift,reread the first sentence.:lol:
When I picked up my rebuilt 727, the guy told me to always use “Type F”

I use type F as well. Didn't know about Chrysler engineers recommendations but Ebooger recommends it too. Probably read about the higher friction point from them.

Type "F" from 40 years ago. Today ATF+4 . It is semi-synthetic and less foaming than type "F" and doesn't break down as quickly.

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll be staying with Type-F since, when it was rebuilt, that's what was put into it.

Auto Transport Service
Back