• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 truck trans with short tail and fixed yoke

Paul_G

Local time
8:52 PM
Reaction score
I have a good 727 but it has the fixed yoke. Will need a drive shaft with a slip yoke to use it. Any one know make model of truck I might find in the bone yard with a slip yoke drive shaft I can use?

any 727 will have the parts you need. BUT, both trans will have to be taken apart and parts swapped to get you the slip yoke you are wanting. just as well overhaul it while you are there. NOTE: if you find a 727 that has the 2 bolt cover on the side instead of underneath the trans mount, grab it as it is supposed to be the hd tail housing.

I’d say mid 70’s trucks, usually 3/4 ton and heavier.
Lots had a center support bearing amd 2 piece driveshaft.

He is looking for a driveshaft with a slip joint in the driveshaft. Like a front shaft on a 4x4, it has a slip coupling in it.

folks do the same when they want to eliminate a ball & trunion.

A driveshaft shop can build a new driveshaft with the slip feature in it.

I believe the only trucks the came with the shorty trans was late 70s 2wd ext cab short box. 2 PC driveshaft.
You can put a 2 PC in a b body, I've seen it done. That one had a power glide.

All the early 4-wheel drive trucks ('60-'70s) that had the separate transfer cases like the 203 or 205 used the short tailshaft 727 with a short driveshaft connecting the the transfer case input. Any driveshaft shop should be able to make a driveshaft with a slip yoke. I think to convert the trans, you just need the output shaft and tailshaft.

Auto Transport Service
Back