• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73-74 Charger Passenger Door Mirror

terrywalker

Local time
3:12 AM
Reaction score
I am installing the passenger door mirror on both of my 74 Chargers as neither car had them. I need two things.1) what is the measurement from the front door edge to the front screw in the mirror base. A picture of this would be great. 2) was the passenger side mirror installed with just two sheet metal screws or were riv-nuts used?
The drivers door mirror has a plate installed in the door but I'm sure this wasn't used on the passenger's door. Thanks.

Terry W.

It should get the same backing plate than the driver side. The plate is not just to get a fastener, but also reinforce the door skin. The riv-nuts were used on earliers

I installed my passenger on same spot than driver side, and I'm pretty sure that's the right spot, since we don't have vent window post in the middle

I don't have measurements for you, since my car doesn't have a passenger mirror, but I have a photo of the backing plate. You see them on ebay once in a while.

mirror-backing-plate-2.jpg

View attachment 1065783
here is a photo from my 1973 SE
Thanks to all for the information. It looks like the passenger side mirror also uses the backing plate inside the door. It looks easy enough to make one using the measurements off my drivers side mirror. And thanks to Corman, I now have the measurement to place the mirror.
Terry W.

I would consider that, they fit on same spot LOL
I needed to be sure. On the Challengers, that's not true. There's at least a 1 inch difference in the distance of the mirrors from the front door edge when measuring each side. And the e-bodies use riv-nuts to mount the mirrors on both sides.
Terry W.

yes, all E bodies also uses the older screw pattern on pedestal ( not same pedestal shape thought ), same than 71/72s B bodies. 73/74 B bodies changed. Weird is I have seen 71/72 B bodies mirrors using a backing plate too

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Other...ror/114064675191?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

UNLESS, the E bodies pattern is not the same? but sellers use to sell these as 71/74 E body and 71/72 B body ( 70 E is diff as far I recall due the diff shape used for the mirror specially on passenger side )

Last edited:
Maybe these pictures will help. There are 2 fasteners that hold the plate to the inside of the door. The screws were machine threads as I recall. The pictures were taken while I was wrapping the car.

2DFB0D46-393A-41A8-A66E-4D10977F01B2.jpeg E515BD0E-3C3D-45D0-BC87-404FFF95283E.jpeg

Maybe these pictures will help. There are 2 fasteners that hold the plate to the inside of the door. The screws were machine threads as I recall. The pictures were taken while I was wrapping the car.

View attachment 1067318 View attachment 1067319
I very much appreciate everyone's input. The mirror is on. What I did was take a piece of steel faltbar that was 1 inch wide and 1/8" thick and cut it to the length of the mirror base. I drilled the two holes that would mount the mirror base to the plate and tapped for 10-24 screws. I then marked the door skin for the mirror base and drilled the holes through the door skin. With the window down and no inside door panel, I was able to mount the plate to the inside of the door with the screws and washers ( didn't mount mirror yet). I then measured for the plate holding clips and drilled those two holes through the door skin and plate. I then mounted the plate using two plastic push pins and then installed the mirror using the machine screws. See the end result below.
Terry W.

Psgr Door Mirror 1.jpg Psgr Door Mirror 2.jpg

yes, all E bodies also uses the older screw pattern on pedestal ( not same pedestal shape thought ), same than 71/72s B bodies. 73/74 B bodies changed. Weird is I have seen 71/72 B bodies mirrors using a backing plate too

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Other...ror/114064675191?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

UNLESS, the E bodies pattern is not the same? but sellers use to sell these as 71/74 E body and 71/72 B body ( 70 E is diff as far I recall due the diff shape used for the mirror specially on passenger side )
Every E-body I have seen uses the riv-nuts. Yes Same mirror 71-4 E-body & 71-2 B-body

I find weird 71/72 B bodies using backing plate ( per that mirror I posted from ebay ) and E bodies not.

Personally, I preffer the backing plate method.

I find weird 71/72 B bodies using backing plate ( per that mirror I posted from ebay ) and E bodies not.

Personally, I preffer the backing plate method.

So do I because once those riv-nuts spin almost impossible to get the mirror off easily with-out drilling the head off..

So do I because once those riv-nuts spin almost impossible to get the mirror off easily with-out drilling the head off..
I think I'll make another backing plate and install the passenger door mirror on our 71 Challenger using that method now that I see it was easy doing the Charger that way. The Challenger is modified anyway.
Terry W.

Auto Transport Service
Back