• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'73 Road Runner Project - Build Sheet Bingo

John Hogan

Local time
3:33 PM
Reaction score
So I finally spent some time starting to tear into my RR project. One of the first things I did when I bought it was pull the back seat to look for a build sheet. It was there..in little tiny pieces. I tried to do the "jigsaw puzzle" thing on the sticky side of a piece of contact paper. Way too much missing.

I then noticed another build sheet under the springs on the lower rear seat cushion. But it is folded like I have never seen. When I do the upholstery I am going to try to rescue it.

Well, today as I was pulling the interior I saw what looked like a corner of a build sheet poking it's little head out under the carpet by the fold down center armrest.

Low and behold, once the wifey and I got the carpet out, there it was. It was taped to the floorboard at the top and the lower corner had pretty much become part of the floor. A little careful cutting of the tape and slicing off the bottom left corner I now have a 95% build sheet plus a few spare "pieces". I placed it between come cardboard and plexiglass to keep it flat and safe.

Guess I got lucky, is it unusual to find three build sheets? The 68 and 71 I restored thirty years ago each only had one.

Rear Seat Upper Cushion.jpg Rear Seat Lower Cushion.jpg Peeking out of carpet.jpg Under Caepet.jpg Taped and Stuck.jpg Good sheet.jpg Stored in plexi.jpg

Did you verify it was actually for your car?

It's always a crapshoot.

Odds are about the same (IMO) to find none, one or multiples.

IMO it's also 50/50 that it's for a different car with the same interior.

Did you verify it was actually for your car?

It's always a crapshoot.

Odds are about the same (IMO) to find none, one or multiples.

IMO it's also 50/50 that it's for a different car with the same interior.
The VIN matches the car on the two I have recovered. The back seat upper cushion and the one under the carpet. Once I get the sheet out of the lower seat cushion springs I will be able to figure that one out.

:thumbsup:

Yeah it's a crapshoot if you get one or not and if you do, whether it's even for your car. I have found them in E bodies above the headliner, under front seat, rear seat and under carpet. I found one taped onto the back of the glovebox once too. Lol. Congrats tho, that is a big part of documenting the car. It's very cool.

Auto Transport Service
Back