• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Runner Front Strut Rod Bushings

73LemonTwist

Local time
2:19 PM
Reaction score
I have the front sway bar pulled off to replace the original factory bushings with polyurethane bushings. I realize now that the cushion in my bushing kit is actually on the front strut not the sway bar (like my rear one is). I am not familiar with the details of suspension, so am wondering how one replaces the cushion? The factory manual says to unload the torsion bar first, and I really didn't want to get into messing with the torsion bar at this time.

So the question is, can I just remove the strut by unbolting it from the LCA and K frame? Is it under load if I don't unload the torsion bar?

I have both cushions for the sway bar, and new bushings for the struts.

After I mess with this, will I have to take the car in for alignment?

Thanks guys...

Allan

Not sure what you mean by cushion on the strut. The sway bar clamps to the strut rod and there is a bushing on the strut rod. Your new ones should have a slit in them to allow you to slide the on the bar without removal. There is also a set of bushings on the sway bar that connect to the k-frame. However, If you are replacing the ones on the strut rod at the k-frame you should be able to remove the strut with out unloading the torsion bar, however, If you do it with the wheels off the ground, that will unload some of the torque on the lca's, but the strut rod will be at a steeper angle.

Its always a good idea to get things checked after doing any suspension work, not sure if alignment will be necessary as the new bushings on the struts will change the tolerance but don't think it should impact the alignment.

Last edited:
Yes you have it nailed. It's the bushing under the sway bar clamp that I am referring too. My parts cross reference refers to it as a cushion, rather than a bushing. At any rate, my new polyurethane ones are not split. The two rectangular (centre) ones that go in the retainers up to the K-Frame are split, so easy to work with. The old round bushings are pretty worn and cracked, so I would like to get them replaced.

I was able to cut one of the polyurethane bushings with a utility knife. I was surprised how easily that went.

Is there a recommended orientation for the split? Top/bottom/side?

Last edited:
I don't know if there is a recommended orientation for the split, but I did mine upwards on the sway bar clamp to strut.

Auto Transport Service
Back