• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

75/76 bucket seat tracks fit w/o drilling?

Montclaire

Local time
6:50 PM
Reaction score
Will 75/76 B-body bucket seat tracks fit 71-74 bucket frames and install w/o drilling the floor pan (assuming factory bucket car)? I am reading both yes and no. Thanks

That would be a no. I have seats out of a 76 Aspen in my 74 Roadrunner, and the big problem wasn't the holes, it's the floor pan heights. On the F bodies, the floor pan on the inboard side of the seats is raised, and on the 74 B bodies the outboard side is raised. When you look at the seat tracks you'll see that the inboard side track is about an inch shorter than the outboard side.

In order to install the Aspen seats in the Road Runner I had to take the tracks off and switch them so that the larger tracks were on the outboard sides of the seats since the Road Runner has an elevated floor pan leading to the door. It's easy to do, but the problem is the slide release for moving the seat's position will now be on the inboard side of the seats, and if you have a console this can make accessing the release lever a bit tricky, but I paid $40 for the seats instead of $400+ for original ones. :)

I could be wrong, but I think the raised floor pan on the 74 Road Runner was a one-year change to accommodate the installation of the shoulder belt retractor that bolts to the raised area, and that 71-73 cars have a flat pan and the seat tracks are the same height on both sides, which would mean you would need to put some kind of spacer between the floor pan and rail on the inboard side of the F-body seats.

Last edited:
Aspens are a bodies so chances are they different. I installed doba seats in a satty over 20 years ago. If my weak memory serves me correctly they do fit. You will have to install spacers so they mount level.

Aspens are a bodies so chances are they different. I installed doba seats in a satty over 20 years ago. If my weak memory serves me correctly they do fit. You will have to install spacers so they mount level.
Point made...but Aspens and Volarès are F bodies. Just the same, I've wondered about the interchangability of pre-/post'74 B body seats. More specifically, will the readily available 74-down seat covers fit my 76 bucket seats for which 0 upholstery kits are available?

I am ok if I have to add a spacer to level them so long as the studs are in the right place.

Point made...but Aspens and Volarès are F bodies. Just the same, I've wondered about the interchangability of pre-/post'74 B body seats. More specifically, will the readily available 74-down seat covers fit my 76 bucket seats for which 0 upholstery kits are available?

Covers have been the biggest setback I've had with the 1976 seats. I keep going on the F body sites to see if anyone has started making them, but to date I haven't heard of anyone making any. It appears the seat frames are the same from the 71-74 cars, but the seat foam is different as there is no molded in headrest. I think a set of 73-74 covers would physically fit the seat, but there may be areas, like the headrest, that aren't going to look right unless you replace the foam.

Oh yea f bodies.. sorry. Can you say brain fart? LOL.

Auto Transport Service
Back