• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 center swap out

Not my comment. but from Mopar Action magazine under Tech Topics, Rick Ehrenberg, the infamous "Green Bearings" are not recommended except 1/4 racing, as is also highlighted here by other comments. When I replaced the seals and axles bearings in my '65 Belv with an 8 3/4 and a '489 carrier, used the Timken bearings. No issues.
If you want to realize what ball bearings in a "cage" can do... think back to 1999-2000 when some bean counter at H-D saved money by putting ball bearings in them. Fiasco that resulted in a recall to tapered / Timken type bearings.

No kidding? What model Harleys?

Folks forget that Chrysler was a company of engineers.

Not my comment. but from Mopar Action magazine under Tech Topics, Rick Ehrenberg, the infamous "Green Bearings" are not recommended except 1/4 racing, as is also highlighted here by other comments. When I replaced the seals and axles bearings in my '65 Belv with an 8 3/4 and a '489 carrier, used the Timken bearings. No issues.
If you want to realize what ball bearings in a "cage" can do... think back to 1999-2000 when some bean counter at H-D saved money by putting ball bearings in them. Fiasco that resulted in a recall to tapered / Timken type bearings.

You read something about the Green bearings from years ago. What date is on the article you're referring to by Ehrenberg? They did have a bad batch out there for awhile. The new ones are working just fine. What do you think they are using on all of the new vehicles, front wheel drive and four wheel drive? Sealed ball bearings!

I tried green bearings back in 2014 during the restoration, didn't even last 300 miles before the seals leaked out all the grease, so went back to original tapered, installed, adjusted, and no issues since.

Auto Transport Service
Back