• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 cross pin?

Sweet5ltr

Local time
5:03 PM
Reaction score
8 3/4 Cross Shaft?

While installing a Powertrax Lock-Right into an 8.75 open carrier, I ran across a problem. The cross shaft is scarred to the spider gears and will not slide out more than a quarter on an inch (two hours with a hammer.) Called my local driveline service and they usually torch the shaft to remove it in this condition, but do not carry the shaft to replace it with:eek: (discontinued.)

Where exactly can I purchase a new cross shaft? I will also post on the sales forum but this is just a generalized question.

Thank you for your response.

Get another open diff and go back to work. Open diffs are easy to find. I have a few if you need one.

Thank you Cranky,
My father and I are actually planning on trying to get it pressed out. The bearings were just installed less than a thousand miles ago. Just don't want to have as much funds caught up in this lock-right as I would in an actual detroit locker setup.

Do you have replacement spiders? If the shaft is scored, the bore of the spiders most likely are too.

The spider gears are no longer necessary Cranky,
We took the carrier up to our local transmission shop and they took a sledge to the pin, and after around fifteen minutes of persuasion on a solid steel table it broke loose. The cross shaft pin was pretty chewed up, but was still usable.

We installed the Powertrax Lock-Right, and it all looks good at the moment. Have the case all set up and ready to go, going to install it back into the car tomorrow.

Auto Transport Service
Back