• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 end play adjustment

sts1985

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:40 AM
Reaction score
Rebuilt my entire rear end and installed new tapered bearing. I am now adjusting the end play but having issues. Following the procedures in the FSM, I took the axle end play down to zero then backed it out to .012-.013. Installed adjuster lock and tightened. When I tightened the nut the end play goes back down to zero… am I doing this wrong or is that how it is supposed to be?

Rebuilt my entire rear end and installed new tapered bearing. I am now adjusting the end play but having issues. Following the procedures in the FSM, I took the axle end play down to zero then backed it out to .012-.013. Installed adjuster lock and tightened. When I tightened the nut the end play goes back down to zero… am I doing this wrong or is that how it is supposed to be?
Are all the other nuts tight first? If not, tighten them then make the adjustment and see if that helps.

I always seat the axle and bearings with a few light raps with a mall. Tighten all bolts and then adjust. Check, adjust, re-tighten, etc. until happy with the end play.

Is it a suregrip with thrust buttons installed...
If so, first you tighten the drivers fully, should be play. Then with the pass side adjuster backed out a lot, tighten that flange. Now sneak up with the adjusting nut. Check for a bit of play at each side. Then put the lock on. It should not affect the play what so ever.

@RemCharger 's procedure is the way I do it. I adjust the end play by feel. That is I can't see any movement, but I can feel a slight movement.

Looks like I had a not fully tightened nut on each side. Thanks for the call out. Got the play at .012 all locked in. Appreciate all the help. I’ll start sipping these weekend beers instead of throwing them back

Auto Transport Service
Back