• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.25 C-Clip Thickness

JedIEG

Local time
12:09 AM
Reaction score
I have a 9.25 out of an unknown late 70's bbody for my 72 SSP. Its a 3.23 with limited slip and 11" drumbs so its way better than the 8.25 I had.
After hearing about c-clip failures from other c-clip axles, I would like some insurance and replace the ones in my rear end with new ones that I know have not been fatigued. Summit had two widths 0.175 and 0.205. Which do i need?

Just for an FYI My Dakota R/T has a 3.92 SG 9 1/4, and I've used it like a truck including towing cars across the state, and driven it quite a "spirited" way for over 15 years and 165,000 miles.

Mopar didn't have c-clip issues. This was/is a GM problem.

Summit had two widths 0.175 and 0.205. Which do i need?

I can't find the pair I had for my 9-1/4" cone LS ('74). If I find 'em I'll measure.
You might give Dr. Diff a call on them.

After hearing about c-clip failures............

FWIW, the newer 9-1/4" corporate LSD does/did have a clutch pack retainer issue which some folks often referred to as "c-clip failure".

240,000 miles on my '99 ram with 9-1/4 rear ... no issues. Has regularly towed a heavy trailer its entire life.

Auto Transport Service
Back