• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

911 by Jeff Fellmeth -- Retired American Airlines Pilot

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:10 AM
Reaction score
Most of you know that I was a pilot for American Airlines and on 9-11-01 I was flying a Boeing 767 (same type that hit the Twin Towers) from Caracas, Venezuela to NY.

We had left Caracas at 8 am, so we had no idea what was going on until we reached the radar-controlled airspace surrounding Puerto Rico. The air traffic controller would only tell that JFK was closed and we needed to contact our company. When we queried the controller about why the airport was closed, he responded “I can’t tell you over an open frequency.” The Captain & I are both retired Air Force pilots and those words sent a huge chill through both of us.

So, we then used the satellite phone in the cockpit to contact American Airlines in Dallas. The Dispatcher in Dallas only told us that 2 airplanes had flown into the World Trade Center Towers and that we should divert to Miami. HE DID NOT tell us the planes were airliners or that one of the planes was an American flight.

We immediately knew it was some kind of attack, but NEVER dreamed it was airliners; rather we were thinking light aircraft out of one of the numerous northern NJ airports.

The only other communication we received from the company was a message telling us that NOT EVEN the Flight Attendants were to be allowed in the cockpit. Well, after that message the crash axe was in my lap for the remainder of the flight.

We elected to NOT tell anyone on board we were diverting to Miami, not even the Flight Attendants. As far as anyone on board knew we were on our way to NY.

About halfway between Puerto Rico and Miami, Miami Air Traffic Control transmitted the following: “ALL US AIRSPACE IS CLOSED! I WILL CALL YOU BACK SHORTLY TO FIND OUT WHERE YOU WANT TO LAND OUTSIDE OF THE US.” He then began contacting individual flights and sending them to numerous airports all over the Caribbean, Central and South America.

After about 15-20 minutes of him diverting planes, the controller announced that 3 flights would be allowed to land in Miami. We were first, followed by a Continental flight 30 minutes behind and then an American flight 1 hour behind. To my knowledge, these were the last 3 flights to land at Miami that day and were probably some of the last flights to enter US airspace.

Miami International is an extremely busy airport and the skies around Miami are normally full of aircraft and the accompanying radio chatter, but not when we arrived. When we checked in with Miami Approach Control there was an eerie silence as we were the ONLY aircraft in their airspace. The tension in the cockpit was pretty thick at this point since even at 3 in the morning you usually aren’t alone with Miami Approach. Our approach was pretty uneventful until about 4 miles out from landing when our flaps malfunctioned. We didn’t dare go around at this point to run our checklist; we simply took what we had for flaps and landed on the north runway at Miami.

Now came the real shock. The north side of the Miami airport is a HUGE parking area used mainly by cargo and charter aircraft. Well, on 9/11 the north ramp was covered with more airplanes than I had ever seen! They were packed in like sardines and for any of you who have been to the military and civilian aircraft storage facilities in AZ, well, this was tighter! Up again went the pucker factor!

Our flap malfunction prevented us from retracting our flaps after landing which, before 9-11, was a HUGE PROBLEM for us. To taxi into the parking area with your flaps down was a signal to ground personnel that you were being HIJACKED and wanted ARMED INTERVENTION NOW!!!!! I’m thinking this as I look to my left and see all those jets crammed together so as we clear the runway the first word out of my mouth are “GROUND, AMERICAN 936 IS CLEAR OF RUNWAY 09 LEFT AND OUR FLAPS ARE DOWN BECAUSE THEY’RE BROKE!” (Yes, I was yelling.)

Somehow, we were given a gate to park at and as we pulled up the Captain made a PA to the passengers telling them the little, we know. “Ladies and Gentlemen, some of you may have realized by looking outside or at your watches that this I not New York….” He then told all the passengers to remain seated until we had a chance to talk to the agents meeting the flight.

Now, you must remember, we still don’t know that commercial airlines have been used in this attack, nor do we know about the Pentagon of Flight 93 in PA.

The agent came on board and made a PA informing the passengers and the crew of the events and now for the first time we know of the devastation in NY as by this time both towers were down. You could have heard a pin drop.

On the home front, my wife, and children (14, 9, and 6) have NO idea where I am, only that I’m supposed to be home that afternoon. When I turn on my cell phone there’s a tear-filled voicemail from my wife wondering where I am or even IF I am, but because of the phone system where she worked I can’t reach her. I do contact the grade school for my 2 younger kids and when I tell the secretary that I’m a pilot for American Airlines she just lost it!

My kids expected me home that day and I asked her to contact them at the end of the school day (they hadn’t told the kids about the attacks) that I was ok and in Miami. She also contacted the High School for me where a Guidance Counselor went to my oldest daughter’s class. Needless to say, having Guidance come to your room looking for you while watching aircraft like your Dad’s crash is pretty intense for a 16-year-old. I think she had it worse than I did since I knew I was ok.

I finally did get a hold of Debbie, my parents, and in-laws but I couldn’t tell them much except I was in Miami for a while and didn’t even know where I was going to be staying.

It took a couple of hours, but we ended up at our normal layover hotel in Miami Beach where I spent the next 5 days watching the F-15’s fly up and down the beach wishing I was back with them (I had only been retired for a year).

I finally got home Saturday night around midnight and spent Sunday close to my family. Monday morning found me on my way back to JFK for my next flight. My normal 2-2 ½ hour drive took 4 hours that Monday and crossing over the Verrazano Narrows Bridge was truly humbling.

The Twin Towers were the dominant feature of Manhattan, especially the lower end and the Verrazano offers a beautiful view of NY harbor and lower Manhattan. Six days later, the fire was still burning, smoke was still rising from Ground Zero plus there was this huge gap in the buildings where the Towers had been. Now, 20 years later, I still look and miss the sight of the World Trade Center.
Will I ever forget? NEVER! Every time I go to work, I think about what happened that day and wonder when they’ll try it again and will I be ready.

I will always remember that day, where I was, what I and my family went though and I will always remind others of what happened that day and what it means to me, my freedom, and my way of life.

thumbnail.jpg

Thanks for posting that RC :thumbsup:
from the American Airlines pilot...

Of the millions of stories from that day...

I'll never forget, where I was either...
A lot less dramatic where I was, but I'll always remember it...
I was doing a job in an East Bay Area Toyota dealership,
doing lighting changes/updates...
I saw it happen live on the TV in the waiting area, just outside the Parts Dept...
My 1st remarks were;
"that was a terrorist attack, it's not an accident"...
There was some groaning in the crowd, a soldier/Marine in fatigues sitting there,
agreed with me...
A lil' while later, the second plane hit...
I was as shocked as anyone...
Most of the women wept, then kids cried etc.,
the men started to get pissed & make retaliation remarks...
Everyone looked at me sort of wierd,
1 lady asked;
"how I knew ?",
I just said;
"it was a gut feeling, because of all the trouble in the Middle East"
They all knew then too, everyone was in total agreement instantly,
there were some naysayers when the 1st plane hit...

We were as 1 in most all of America...

Sad it took something a bad as that, to unite US...

Last edited:
My brother in laws older brother died on the second plane to hit the World Trade Center Every time they show the footage he sees his brother die again. It was the only funeral I ever attended that there was no body, or ashes to mourn the loss.

I couldn’t tell you where i was or what I was doing last Tuesday. I can see 9-11 just like it was this morning. I will never forget the many that we lost that day. Thank you veterans and first responders!

I looked in the sky that morning, over the horizon. My next door neighbor was burning. The smoke drifted across New York bay, down the Jersey coastline. The air was filled with the souls that perished. The tears welled up in my eyes. And I prayed.

At that time I had been laid off from my job in a restructuring. I tended to stay up later and later into the early morning. That night I fell asleep on my couch w/the TV still on. I awakened at 5amish to the voice of Tom Brokah and the NY scene unfolding on the tv screen just after the first plane hit - In shock I watched it unfold as the 2nd plane hit. That was my first thought too - those mofo’s had launched an attack. Incredulous I immediately called several close women friends and advised them to go home immediately and not to leave their homes until we knew more about what was going on. You see LA was also a likely target and I was just being careful for others. My family all initiated a round robin of contact amongst all of us to make sure we were all ok and then to share our outrage. But as most of you I too have a crystal clear memory of exactly what I saw that morning and my immediate reaction to it. First incredulous shock almost immediately followed by an inferno of ANGER. “Time to make that place a parking lot”. But exactly whom and where do we go after “them”. We must truly NEVER FORGET - EVER.

A touching photo taken by “someone” that week. It says it all….
IMG_0072.jpeg

Thank you RC - for everything and for sharing this story. :usflag:

Y'know, I keep seeing/reading over the last several years that people are forgetting - and at this point
I suppose some that hadn't even been born have reached the age of communicating with the world too -
so they never even knew what to forget to begin with.

I just can't fathom that. It doesn't even compute in my mind.
"Forget"? (Or even worse, blow the events of those days off).
It just doesn't compute in my aging, shrinking brain...
Everyone of a certain age and up remembers damn well where they were, what they were doing - and
how damn pissed off we all got as a nation.

Forget? I don't reckon - and at least to me, there's no "forgive" either.
Ever.

Last edited:
I too was flying on the am of 9/11, a Commanche 250 heading for a small airport just outside the beltway in MD. The first clue that something was amiss was Baltimore Approach telling an out-of -fuel 727 to land either at Baltimore, or...Andrews AF Base...Then he turned us over to DC approach, and it was aural chaos, everybody demanding info, vectors - I could not break into the stream so I cancelled my IFR clearance and proceeded to the small field. It was a "gin clear" day, and as we were looking towards the Pentagon, a huge fireball erupted on the west side - the 3rd terrorist airplane hit. We landed, and were told of the WTC attack. We took the Metro towards our hotel in VA, and the Pentagon station was closed; trains rolled thru. All cell phones were inop, but i called home from one of those ancient, but useful, pay phones. Our airplane was impounded there for 3 weeks, and we were eventually given a 1 hour window to fly it out, back to Albany NY. Our Amtrak trip back to Albany was somber...

Jeff did you retire from the USAF? I flew fighters 63-93, Hun, Hog, Electric Jet, but my last real jet trip was 27 July 93, 1.9h in a BAE Hawk from Farnborough, solo, climb direct to 410, then 250 ft AGL, 420KIAS for a tour of the Lake District - low level maps had one-way arrows! for mid-air avoidance - climb back up, spun down from 30K to 25K, aeros routine and sad, last landing. Wish i could do it all again.

Thank you RC - for everything and for sharing this story. :usflag:

Y'know, I keep seeing/reading over the last several years that people are forgetting - and at this point
I suppose some that hadn't even been born have reached the age of communicating with the world too -
so they never even knew to what forget to begin with.

I just can't fathom that. It doesn't even compute in my mind.
"Forget"? (Or even worse, blow the events of those days off).
It just doesn't compute in my aging, shrinking brain...
Everyone of a certain age and up remembers damn well where they were, what they were doing - and
how damn pissed off we all got as a nation.

Forget? I don't reckon - and at least to me, there's no "forgive" either.
Ever.
I hear you Ed loud and clear.

Auto Transport Service
Back