• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A pair of undercoating questions regarding a 67 Coronetn

dodgemahal

Local time
12:46 PM
Reaction score
I've been fixing up my 67 Coronet that had been in storage for many years. Is the thick undercoating that's on there part of an option, or did they all come that way?

The rear shocks are covered with undercoating. Does that mean the shocks are original? I just want to be sure I'm not missing something.

There was a factory undercoating option and there were many dealer and aftermarket undercoating alternatives back then too. Maybe with some detailed photos of the underside of the car some members might be able to offer an opinion as to its origin. It’s probably shown on the build sheet too if factory, if you have the build sheet.

Yes I have a hood silencer pad. Any thoughts on the originality of the shocks with undercoating plastered on them?
The undercoating is very thick, looks like mud, and has a ton of texture, like waves on water; I'm thinking it's not aftermarket.

My '67 Coronet has original factory undercoat as well. Sounds very similar to yours. However, when I inherited it, 26 yrs ago, I changed the shocks n springs and do not remember if the shocks had undercoat on them.

Here's one of the shocks with undercoating. 20230203_110003.jpg

It looks like original factory coating to me. I don't think anyone would replace the shocks and then slobber them up with this stuff. Just put new shocks on, and be happy. After all, they do not last forever.

I thought I'd remove them and put them back on Dave. Because that undercoating is so beautiful. Lol.

Undercoating if applied by the
manufacturer wouldn't be gobbed
on like that shock shows.
Though an option for some
manufacturers (a means to charge
the customer more $) tended to
use that stuff sparingly, as it cost
them labor, equipment, and a special
set in the production line, and this
stuff was usually applied to areas
under the car that were seciptable
to retaining water and debris. The
entire underbody was not sprayed.
Also, when undercoating was applied,
it was during the painting process,
where there were no suspension
parts installed. It's also very heavy.
My guess as to what you have there
is someone who got a little over
zealous with the spray can, or the
dealership offered an anti-corrision
deal, offered in colder climates
where salt was often used. Even
in this circumstance, it shouldn't
have been sprayed all over, the
dealership would mask off parts
to avoid this.
An easy way to confirm....
How much of that stuff was
oversprayed on the frame rails,
rear diff, or any hardware used to
attach the shock. If factory applied,
or applied by a reputable dealership,
it shouldn't be on any of those areas.
Had I been the purchaser of a brand
new 67 Coronet, and saw that, I
would have demanded at least the
shocks be replaced.

Last edited:
Chrysler sprayed some under coating inside the wheelwells of all their cars as a protection of road rash caused by flying stones, etc. The optional full chassis under coating was offered more for sound isolation, than rust protection, hence the hood silencer pad as part of the package. Northern, salt-belt buyers perhaps saw the under coating as a bonus protection against rust as well as the intended road noise. My R/T was ordered with this optional package, and delivered new to Hickory, N.C. I can not believe that protection from road salt would be a consideration here.
I remember that in the '60's and '70's there was a company named Ziebart that applied a tar-like substance under vehicles that they claimed as a rust prohibitor against road salt. The stuff never really worked as well as they claimed. The application would shrink as it dried, causing cracks which would allow salt to intrude. There could also be patches that did not adhere to the under structure very well and fall off. A yearly touchup application was always suggested. This stuff looked very much like the factory application.

Auto Transport Service
Back