• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Stripped Bolt Question With A Twist...

Lighthorseman

Local time
11:39 PM
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out here. This isn't a B-Body specific issue, but it IS Mopar related. I am trying to drop the front driveshaft on my 2000 Dakota 4X4 to change out the U-joint, but have run into a giant snag. I'm posting here because I suspect I'll get more help than on the Dakota specific forum.

I got all four of the front bolts off, as well as 3 of the 4 bolts at the transfer case, but stripped the living hell out of the last one...of course. It's one of the longer bolts at the transfer case end.

Is there any way to get the driveshaft off without having to get that one last bolt out? I even tried the hammer and chisel deal, but only managed to further mangle the still stuck bolt.

Any ideas or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Also, since this IS the B-Body forum, I'll throw in a picture of my getting-close-to-completion project.

IMG_4573.jpg

Got a welder? Weld a nut onto your bolt... Now you have a place for the wrench to grab.... And your added heat to help break it free...

It doesn't have to just be a threaded bolt either.

SST 372.JPG

SST 375.JPG

SST 378.JPG

Sounds like you're talking about the velocity joint at the transfer case. If you're just replacing the U joint at the axle can't you just slide the shaft apart and leave the transfer case end bolted up? Put the other three bolts back in.
20240203_222236.jpg

Well, in the end, I managed to solve the issue without having to weld onto anything. That would have been a challenge, as I have neither a welder, nor a friend who has one. A bit of Internet sleuthing revealed a socket-type set that acts exactly like those "easy-out" things, but for bolts rather than screws. I had my doubts, but it worked like a charm. I'm pretty sure this is going to be a valuable part of my mediocre tool collection.

I picked up a set from my local Canadian Tire store - I'm sure you guys south of the border have an equivalent. Amazon sells them too, but I didn't want to wait for the set to show up...and CHINA. 'Nuff said.

Here are a couple of crappy pictures showing the stripped, chiseled, and thoroughly mangled bolt that came right out...and the bolt removal set.
IMG_5482.jpeg

IMG_5483.jpeg

As an addendum...I was correct. I got a bunch of helpful answers here, and NOTHING at all on the Dakota forum.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Well, in the end, I managed to solve the issue without having to weld onto anything. That would have been a challenge, as I have neither a welder, nor a friend who has one. A bit of Internet sleuthing revealed a socket-type set that acts exactly like those "easy-out" things, but for bolts rather than screws.

I picked up a set from my local Canadian Tire store - I'm sure you guys south of the border have an equivalent. Amazon sells them too, but I didn't want to wait for the set to show up...and CHINA. 'Nuff said.

Here are a couple of crappy pictures showing the stripped, chiseled, and thoroughly mangled bolt that came right out...and the bolt removal set.
View attachment 1603634
View attachment 1603635

As an addendum...I was correct. I got a bunch of helpful answers here, and NOTHING at all on the Dakota forum.

Thanks guys!
So was it the 6 bolt cv joint you were referring to? Did you replace that joint?

I got the year of the Dakota wrong! It's a '99, not a 2K model. It has the older driveshaft with U-joints at both ends, with 2 of them at the transfer case end, 4 bolts at each end. The offending U-joint is at the transfer case end of the shaft, but I'm going to replace all three U-joints.

Well, in the end, I managed to solve the issue without having to weld onto anything. That would have been a challenge, as I have neither a welder, nor a friend who has one. A bit of Internet sleuthing revealed a socket-type set that acts exactly like those "easy-out" things, but for bolts rather than screws. I had my doubts, but it worked like a charm. I'm pretty sure this is going to be a valuable part of my mediocre tool collection.

View attachment 1603634
View attachment 1603635

Thanks guys!
The truck forum linked to FBBO is a bit slow too. I'm a member of a RAM forum and it also lacks volume. Odd too, since there are so many of those trucks on the road.

I got the year of the Dakota wrong! It's a '99, not a 2K model. It has the older driveshaft with U-joints at both ends, with 2 of them at the transfer case end, 4 bolts at each end. The offending U-joint is at the transfer case end of the shaft, but I'm going to replace all three U-joints.

What I think you're referring to is called a "double cardan constant velocity joint" they are more involved than a standard joint, plenty of "how to's" on you tube.

^^^ yeah good chance you may need to replace the inner ball and associated parts. Lack of grease and they turn to dust

A set of those strip sockets can be your best friend...I use them all the time on rusty junk

View attachment 1603634
View attachment 1603635

Thanks guys!

Your easiest repair is a new driveshaft and new bolts. Go to your favorite auto parts store and ask for availability. I’ve had pretty good luck doing it that way.

Auto Transport Service
Back