• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A904 long 2-3 shift overlap

J5 GTX

Local time
6:40 AM
Reaction score
As per the title and I did do a Forum search. I only found 2 threads, so I must be doing something wrong.

Moderate acceleration, a long 2-3 shift overlap. Definitely feel the car slow some, engine rpm reduced (exhaust note). I say it lasts about 2 full seconds.
Which isn't quick as some think.

What I have:
1968 318 and 904 from a running vehicle. An original family owned '68 Charger with a claimed 86k actual miles. Combo installed in my 81 Mirada.
I only know about the running aspect from a video from the seller. I can't tell anything about the transmission shifting because the guy has the gas pedal to the floor the whole time.
Kickdown (throttle pressure) linkage adjusted per '81 FSM and Carl Munroe transmission book.
Line pressure 56psi at 1000 rpm, TP linkage full forward.
84 psi , 1000 rpm, TP aft. Car on jack stands. Wheels free.

Servo release pressure: at 2-3 shift pressure goes to 42psi then a 2 second delay goes to 52-54 psi. The jump in pressure is directly related to the shift overlap.
this a road test. Part throttle, about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle.

Reverse servo pressure 175-220psi, needle wildly fluctuates in that range. Almost a blurr. TP link aft: 240-245 psi fluctuating in that range, but not rapidly.
on jackstands, wheels free.

Governor pressure follows MPH. 25 mph is about 25 psi, 40 mph is about 40 psi. Governor pressure returns to zero when car is very slow or stopped. All seems normal.

Kickdown band set to 2 1/4 turns.
1-2 shift seems normal.
The only work done to the transmission, that I can determine, is the transmission pan and filter have been replaced.

I'm thinking of installing an overhauled valve body from an early '70's trans. or
Repair the one I have? What should I look for while I'm in there?
Opinions??

maybe your kickdown band apply servo is sticking so the band is not releasing quickly as it should when the front clutch pack applies for 3rd gear?
i would drop the valvebody and dis assemble that servo; clean,polish bore w/400 grit,clean out bore, re assemble w/new seal rings; maybe teflon rings.
good luck.

This trans should a thin pin servo if is a 68. should have at least one spring possible two in that servo. Spring(s) could be missing or broken. Oil pressure to release the band comes from the 3rd gear forward clutch circuit. If the governor support rings or reaction shaft bore are worn it could delay fluid flow to the servo. The 318 combo may not be powerful enough to induce a 3rd gear flare with that condition.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back