• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AFB 4327S Restoration

TX67RT

Local time
8:04 AM
Reaction score
As I am going through things on my '67 R/T, I decided to rebuild the carburetor since it's been sitting for 6-7 years, and I have already replaced every component in the fuel system. One thing seems to lead to another, and I decide to just go ahead and restore the carb while I'm at it. It's an all-original car, and I wanted the carb to be show-worth as well as functional. Attached are some "before" photos; pretty typical of a nearly 50-year old carb. I took these as reference before/during the tear-down to reference where everything goes back together.

The plan is to pull it completely apart, glass-bead blast the castings in my cabinet, re-bush the primary throttle shaft holes, replace all the fasteners, and have all the various components re-plated in their original finish. First, the "Before":

IMAG0800.jpgIMAG0799.jpgIMAG0798.jpg

Here are the components before sending out for plating:

IMAG0942.jpgIMAG0943.jpg

As components arrive, I'll post updated photos along with the vendor sources I used. I hope this inspires/helps others with their carburetor restorations.

Cheers!

JD

With a little effort you can do this.

Attachments

• 4737.jpg
    4737.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 258
tried to rebuild a carter carb, but could never get car to run smooth, put on an edelbrock and runs great. good luck with the rebuild!

tried to rebuild a carter carb, but could never get car to run smooth, put on an edelbrock and runs great. good luck with the rebuild!

Thanks! I've rebuilt this carb many times over the years; always with good results. I think it's because it is the original carb to the car, and is in unmolested condition. I just decided to make it look as good as it functions.

JD

Here are a few shots of the blasted housing castings, booster venturis, throttle plates, and new screws. I bought the screw kit from Daytona Parts Co. for $23.00 including shipping. It included all the screws needed; a very complete kit.

IMAG0961.jpgIMAG0962.jpgIMAG0964.jpgIMAG0965.jpgIMAG0968.jpgIMAG0969.jpgIMAG0971.jpg

UPDATE: I received my AFB components back from plating. I used oldschoolplating.com, and am very happy with the results. Everything pictured cost about $150.00 including shipping. Compare to the "before" photos above, and I think you'll agree the difference is night and day.

I also ordered a re-bushing kit for my primary throttle shaft from Carbjunky's, along with a carburetor kit. Both were about $68.00 plus shipping. Re-bushing the carburetor housing was very simple, and yielded perfect results. No more sloppy throttle shaft for me!

I'll post more photos as I begin to assemble the carb. Can't wait to get it back together!

IMAG1051.jpgIMAG1057.jpg

Finished my AFB today. I think it turned out great. I didn't save a lot of money by doing it myself, but really enjoyed the process. Here are some photos of the finished product. If you have any questions about how I did it, the suppliers I used, or other, please feel free to respond or send a PM.

IMAG1172.jpgIMAG1192.jpgIMAG1193.jpgIMAG1197.jpgIMAG1198.jpgIMAG1199.jpgIMAG1200.jpg

That looks great, some things are worth doing yourself, the pride factor is just a plus.

Hats off to using the original. It is ezer to put on a new one, but to restore, that is outstanding, good job.

Did' jer polish the accellerator pump well? A smooth bore really helps the pump "diaphragm" live a long life.

That looks great, some things are worth doing yourself, the pride factor is just a plus.

Thank you sir! I love the activity of restoring components. It's a lot of fun to bring something from old and deteriorated to like-new condition, just as it was originally manufactured.

73sat, I completely agree. It's always easier to swap on new parts, but much more satisfying to renew the originals. Thanks for the compliments.

JD

- - - Updated - - -

Did' jer polish the accellerator pump well? A smooth bore really helps the pump "diaphragm" live a long life.

I didn't do any polishing in the accelerator pump bore; just left it as it was. I never really had any issues with this carb going through pump pistons. Next time I have it apart, I'll look into it. I can see how it would lower abrasion on the leather cup. BTW, I'm also in the DFW area (FW side). Maybe I'll run into you out and about this summer. I'll be looking for some good cruise nights coming up after the car is back on the road. If the rain ever ends!

Cheers,

JD

Auto Transport Service
Back