• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air Grabber Hood Bubble and Door

Ritchie Valens

Local time
6:37 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I hope you all are doing well. I'm looking to paint my current Air Grabber hood on my '71 Roadrunner. Photos provided below. Does anyone know the Plymouth name for that matte black color? Or is it just any matte black color?

Also, I have seen some RR's that have the matte black go all the way up to the top of the hood over the air vents. And, I've seen some RR's that just color the hood bubble, but do not extend the to the end off the hood.

I will probably extend the color to go all the way to the top of the hood. I think it's a clean look. But I was wondering what the correct procedure is for this?

Also, as always, I welcome any tips or expertise you may be able to offer regarding this topic. I never take ANY additional information for granted. Thank you all and I look forward to hearing from you!!

~Ritchie

IMG_2976.jpg
IMG_2977.jpg
IMG_2978.jpg

The color is organisol black and was lacquer. It's a special textured black paint and the texture agent used in is has not been available for years. Rodger Gibson supposably had it for sale. There should be some sort of texture agent that is close and be able to be mixed with new urethane paints. As for the paint behind the hood, I'm not an expert on this but I believe all 71's it extended onto the hood, 72's I'm not sure. I remember reading there was a paint code for the black to be extended onto the hood.

The color is organisol black and was lacquer. It's a special textured black paint and the texture agent used in is has not been available for years. Rodger Gibson supposably had it for sale. There should be some sort of texture agent that is close and be able to be mixed with new urethane paints. As for the paint behind the hood, I'm not an expert on this but I believe all 71's it extended onto the hood, 72's I'm not sure. I remember reading there was a paint code for the black to be extended onto the hood.
Thank you tak419! I've always wondered and like you said, it always felt like something textured with paint.

Auto Transport Service
Back