• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air grabber hood hoses install

Wile E. Coyote

Local time
12:35 PM
Reaction score
Need to install the canister and rubber lines for my air grabber hood on a non original N96 1970 Road Runner. Anyone have a diagram of where the canister mounts and the lines go through the firewall?

Hoping to get the lines through so I can tackle restoring the dash this summer.

BAD67DCB-500D-4937-B1C5-BB4771AA9D46.jpeg

488754D0-BA44-49EB-A74F-0720FC0548EC.jpeg

78523017-F5BF-4FE3-A536-6CF3E09D67E7.jpeg

Hello Wile E. Coyote, the two indentations on the firewall between the heater box nuts is where the canister mounts and the hoses route through where the indentation above the heater hoses are. I hope this helps. (At least that's how it was on my RR)

100_0013.JPG

Thank you Jim and Tdawg, this helps a bunch! Now I just need to get out the drill and let the party begin!

And if you're looking for one of those three hole grommets...

Hello Mr. Coyote,
I just realized, the illustration I posted is for 1971, not 1970.

It is from the 1971 Body Service Manual.

The schematic diagram is correct however for 1970-1972 Plymouths & 1971 Dodge.

Sorry about that!!!

I have attached pictures here taken from my 70-71 Parts Catalog for your review.

Hope this info helps you out!!!

Sincerely,
Jim

Air Grabber Parts Breakdown.png

Air Grabber Flapper Door Breakdown.png

I am also in the process of installing my vacuum canister. Mine looks different. I was told there were 2 styles used in 1970. Do i have the correct canister. And if so were the tabs vertically mounted or horizontal?

IMG_5958.jpeg

I am also in the process of installing my vacuum canister. Mine looks different. I was told there were 2 styles used in 1970. Do i have the correct canister. And if so were the tabs vertically mounted or horizontal?

View attachment 1503913
This canister above is for 70 cars with A/C. It is not the correct air grabber canister. The AG canister has one bracket with two mounting holes. See photo below.

ag1.jpg

Need to install the canister and rubber lines for my air grabber hood on a non original N96 1970 Road Runner. Anyone have a diagram of where the canister mounts and the lines go through the firewall?

Hoping to get the lines through so I can tackle restoring the dash this summer.

View attachment 1419142

View attachment 1419143

View attachment 1419144
My opinion.....FWIW.....using the diagrams and pictorials following do not forget to install the under dash solenoid valve that opens/closes the N96 actuator. It's pricey, so most guys convince themselves that it's not really needed. The solenoid receives power when the ignition switch is in the ON POSITION. VERY IMPORTANT IF YOU WANT AN ORIGIONAL APPEARING AND FUNCTIONAL N-96 HOOD........
BTW....,.GET RID OF THE GM style brake booster; use a Bendix Tandem booster and master cylinder (disc brakes) and the correct master cylinder style.......
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back