• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator question

Bruce73RR

Local time
1:17 AM
Reaction score
I searched as best as I could and didn't find this subject.

I bought a replacement alternator for my 1973 Road Runner 340. The new alternator had a sticker on it that warned me to replace the voltage regulator when installing the alternator. No explanation. I haven't changed the regulator yet and the car is running fine and delivering 13.8 volts to the battery.

Any idea why I should replace the regulator too?

I searched as best as I could and didn't find this subject.

I bought a replacement alternator for my 1973 Road Runner 340. The new alternator had a sticker on it that warned me to replace the voltage regulator when installing the alternator. No explanation. I haven't changed the regulator yet and the car is running fine and delivering 13.8 volts to the battery.

Any idea why I should replace the regulator too?
They must want to sell more parts.

Sometimes people trouble shoot the wrong part being the problem. So if you replace both probably a fix. You just don't know what was bad.

Yup. And I'd trust any electrical parts from back in the day vs anything new. I buy a few at a time off eBay when I find new but old parts for parts like regulators, ignition boxes,even caps n rotors....

Another thing to remember is that in cold weather output is higher from the alternator and is normal.

Auto Transport Service
Back