• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An interesting read for you investors out there...

MarPar

If it weighs, it pays
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:10 AM
Reaction score
What Peter Schiff Thinks About Gold Now After 2013's 28% Plunge...

StreetInsider.com

January 2, 2014

After ending up one of the worst investments in 2013 (-28%), gold (NYSE: GLD) is starting out 2014 on the right foot. Gold is up $21.60, or 1.8%, to 1,223.90 in futures trading mid-day. However, with the Fed starting its QE taper this month, many questions remain about gold as an investment this year.

Weighing in to start the new year with the the long and short of gold investing is noted gold bull Peter Schiff.

THE LONG AND THE SHORT OF GOLD INVESTING

By Peter Schiff:

There are two types of gold investors: those trying to make money on short-term market timing and those looking for long-term asset preservation. It was the fear-driven trading of the former that helped gold break $1900 in 2011, and for good reason - stormy markets steer investors to safe havens.

But gold's fortune has shifted in the past two years, and finishing 2013 down 28% seems to have sealed its fate - at least in the eyes of the short-term speculators. In reality, the same forces that are stabilizing stocks and suppressing gold are also the fundamental reasons long-term investors have been buying gold since the turn of the new millennium. The so-called recovery we're now experiencing is just a lull in a storm that hasn't yet abated.

Losing Touch With Reality

From the fiscal cliff at the beginning of the year to the budget stalemate and government shutdown in the fall, the US was not exactly a model of financial stability in 2013. Yet with each of these stories, the markets shrugged off any large dips and went on to reach record high after record high. The stock market exceeded most expectations - the S&P and Dow rallied 29.6% and 26.5% respectively, with the volatility index staying remarkably low.

The official explanation for this market behavior is that the economy really is improving. A growing GDP and improving jobless rate are the leading economic indicators that support this conclusion.

However, the real reason behind 2013's stability in spite of mixed economic news was the extremely accommodating Federal Reserve policy. Markets have become hyper-aware of this Bernanke Put over the course of the year.

Compare the markets' taper tantrums earlier in the year to their reaction to the Fed's December announcement of "taper-lite."

In both June and August, with the mere talk of tapering, the S&P and Dow tumbled. The assumption was that when the Fed started tapering their Quantitative Easing (QE) program, interest rates would also start to rise. Overvalued stocks plunged in preparation for a higher interest rate environment.

However, this December, when the Fed set an official January date for tapering, these indices did not drop as they had before, but immediately jumped to new highs. Why the different reaction to essentially the same news?

Because the Fed's December announcement was not the same.

Normal No Longer Means Healthy

The key element of Bernanke's "taper-lite" was not the $10 billion-per-month cut to QE, but the explicit commitment to maintain low interest rates for the foreseeable future. Bernanke basically guaranteed the fed funds rate would remain near 0% for at least a couple more years.

This commitment to artificially suppressed interest rates ruins the charade that the economy is getting healthier. Why on earth does a healthy economy need the support of free money?

The short-term data may appear good on its face, but people are waking up to the bigger picture of this so-called recovery - namely that it isn't a recovery at all.

It's well-recognized now that most new jobs are low-wage, low-skilled placements. Often these are part-time or temporary retail or restaurant positions. This may be why both median income and the percentage of the population employed remain well below pre-crisis levels. The jobless rate has only improved because people have simply given up trying to find employment.

Meanwhile, the latest data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis shows that in the last months of 2013, personal spending rose more than personal income, while the savings rate dropped. In other words, we're back to digging the hole that caused the Panic of '08.

This is one of the longest and slowest recoveries the US has ever experienced, but the mantra of Wall Street maintains that all is well because the stock market is up. We're supposedly returning to normal.

The truth is that "normal" no longer means "healthy" when it comes to the economic stability of the United States. It really means that we are back to where we were prior to the Panic of '08.

Selective Memory

Only a short-term mindset could ignore the parallels between our economy today and ten years ago. Heading into 2004, the headlines sounded almost identical to today's, with talk of an improving economy that still suffered from less-than-optimal employment numbers.

More importantly, it was in 2003 that Alan Greenspan cut the fed funds rate to 1% - the lowest it had been for more than 40 years.

We all know how that story ended. Most economists agree that the interest rate policy of Greenspan's Fed spurred the irresponsible lending practices and speculation that drove the US into a housing crash and then a financial meltdown.

Yet here we are again, with the fed funds rate at record low levels. Nothing has changed in ten years - the supposed recovery we're experiencing now is simply a product of this endless cheap money.

A Sober Analysis

In times like these, long-term gold investors feel like the designated drivers in the corner of a frat party. It might seem like we're missing the fun, but we must remember that we're playing a different game than the short-term speculators.

Our drunken friends have had some cheap thrills in 2013, but this stock market growth rests on an unstable foundation of artificial stimulus and cheap money. We are more interested in waking up without a hangover, a wrecked car, or worse. The longer interest rates remain suppressed, the crazier markets will behave when rates rise. And if Greenspan's one year at 1% rates helped trigger the crash we saw in '08, imagine imagine what three years and counting of Bernanke's/Yellen's 0% rates portends for the next crash.

About:

Peter Schiff is Chairman of Euro Pacific Precious Metals, a gold and silver dealer selling reputable, well-known bullion coins and bars at competitive prices.

source url

http://www.streetinsider.com/Commod...ld+Now+After+2013s+28%+Plunge.../9017116.html

Wow, good read Mar!

PS: "Normal No Longer Means Healthy"

So true!

PSS: It almost sounds a little like a Dennis Miller article!

Thing is, Peter Schiff has an interest in promoting precious metals. So, I would take his opinion with a grain of salt.

Having said that, I do believe that there is a place for investors to hold gold, silver, platinum, in their portfolios. My personal preferance is to do it in the form of bullion rather than certificates.

Thanks MarPar, good read... He's spot on about the false economic recovery, it's mainly media talking points to prop up a political party, propping up the market & jobs reports, both are completely & utterly bogus/false reports, the stock market is & always has been about long term investments, risk vs reward, how long to hold onto a stock that's climbing & bail before it starts to drop... The bulk of stock market investors is/are mainly, the people with disposable or extra money in the 1st place, to be able to invest, not the average middle class working stiff retirement type investor... That's part of the main reasoning behind, why most people that invest have a stock broker or financial manager, they keep track of day to day stuff & trends, the average Joe isn't educated in such things &/or won't know about or spot in time, trends that will aid to save their portfolio's... Diversification, spread your investments around, is & will always be, the best way to invest, hense the old adage "don't keep all your eggs in one basket"... Bogus jobs spikes was part time or temporary holiday workers, people completely dropping out of the work force or retiring early {forced to sometimes even}... Then the 50 something dropping out of the job markets all together, can't find any comparable work... Then people no longer receiving un-employment benefits because they've exhausted the 102 weeks {use to be 26 weeks} they are eligible for now... Gold was a bubble, has been quite a few times now, silver was too for a while, it's also an expensive bubble, mostly wealthy people buying gold, especially at it's $1900 an oz. highs, it's a risk reward deal, day traders is/are who makes money on trading commodities usually, the average traders don't day trade & keep up with day to day stocks & funds prices... Thanks for posting that MarPar

The perceived value of gold along with other precious metals, jewels, etc has always been interesting to me. The value appears to be based mostly on rarity rather than practical need. I know that gold is used in many industrial applications but that is about 10% of the gold market. The rise and fall of the value of gold against the dollar, for instance, seems to be based more on the trust or fear of the currency rather than any practical value of the gold. The gold market especially seems to fluctuate with the psychology of investors and therefore is particularly volatile.
Any investment is a gamble but one thing to remember is that gold doesn't pay dividends or interest. It's worth whatever the market says it's worth, no more, no less. JMHO.

The perceived value of gold along with other precious metals, jewels, etc has always been interesting to me. The value appears to be based mostly on rarity rather than practical need. I know that gold is used in many industrial applications but that is about 10% of the gold market. The rise and fall of the value of gold against the dollar, for instance, seems to be based more on the trust or fear of the currency rather than any practical value of the gold. The gold market especially seems to fluctuate with the psychology of investors and therefore is particularly volatile.
Any investment is a gamble but one thing to remember is that gold doesn't pay dividends or interest. It's worth whatever the market says it's worth, no more, no less. JMHO.
Was thinking the same thing when I read the article. If it goes down, you're just stuck with it. At least with stock, you can collect dividends or even sell covered calls if you end up being down on it a bit....

I just wait 'till the end of the year and buy discontinued bars of gold at half price.

As opposed to stocks? They are worth... What?

I look at it this way; I have investments in stocks, bonds, etc. But in the end, holding some physical gold or silver coins just feels nice.

I look at it this way; I have investments in stocks, bonds, etc. But in the end, holding some physical gold or silver coins just feels nice.

yeah it does, it's better than paper... yeah so does stock in "lead" these days too...LOL... diversification

Your last word there, is what is important. "DIVERSIFICATION" I think too many people get stuck in one particular investment then get hurt.

As opposed to anything. Like I said, everything has risk. getting out of bed in the morning has some risk. I'm not saying you shouldn't invest in gold, silver, stocks, pork bellies or whatever. I am saying that you shouldn't sell everything you have and buy gold bars. If it makes you feel good buy some gold. Myself, I invest in old Mopars and I've actually done quite well while having a hell of a good time.

dont forget about frozen concentrated orange juice to go along with pork bellies...

index.jpeg

What Peter Schiff Thinks About Gold Now After 2013's 28% Plunge...

StreetInsider.com

January 2, 2014

After ending up one of the worst investments in 2013 (-28%), gold (NYSE: GLD) is starting out 2014 on the right foot. Gold is up $21.60, or 1.8%, to 1,223.90 in futures trading mid-day. However, with the Fed starting its QE taper this month, many questions remain about gold as an investment this year.

Weighing in to start the new year with the the long and short of gold investing is noted gold bull Peter Schiff.

THE LONG AND THE SHORT OF GOLD INVESTING

By Peter Schiff:

There are two types of gold investors: those trying to make money on short-term market timing and those looking for long-term asset preservation. It was the fear-driven trading of the former that helped gold break $1900 in 2011, and for good reason - stormy markets steer investors to safe havens.

But gold's fortune has shifted in the past two years, and finishing 2013 down 28% seems to have sealed its fate - at least in the eyes of the short-term speculators. In reality, the same forces that are stabilizing stocks and suppressing gold are also the fundamental reasons long-term investors have been buying gold since the turn of the new millennium. The so-called recovery we're now experiencing is just a lull in a storm that hasn't yet abated.

Losing Touch With Reality

From the fiscal cliff at the beginning of the year to the budget stalemate and government shutdown in the fall, the US was not exactly a model of financial stability in 2013. Yet with each of these stories, the markets shrugged off any large dips and went on to reach record high after record high. The stock market exceeded most expectations - the S&P and Dow rallied 29.6% and 26.5% respectively, with the volatility index staying remarkably low.

The official explanation for this market behavior is that the economy really is improving. A growing GDP and improving jobless rate are the leading economic indicators that support this conclusion.

However, the real reason behind 2013's stability in spite of mixed economic news was the extremely accommodating Federal Reserve policy. Markets have become hyper-aware of this Bernanke Put over the course of the year.

Compare the markets' taper tantrums earlier in the year to their reaction to the Fed's December announcement of "taper-lite."

In both June and August, with the mere talk of tapering, the S&P and Dow tumbled. The assumption was that when the Fed started tapering their Quantitative Easing (QE) program, interest rates would also start to rise. Overvalued stocks plunged in preparation for a higher interest rate environment.

However, this December, when the Fed set an official January date for tapering, these indices did not drop as they had before, but immediately jumped to new highs. Why the different reaction to essentially the same news?

Because the Fed's December announcement was not the same.

Normal No Longer Means Healthy

The key element of Bernanke's "taper-lite" was not the $10 billion-per-month cut to QE, but the explicit commitment to maintain low interest rates for the foreseeable future. Bernanke basically guaranteed the fed funds rate would remain near 0% for at least a couple more years.

This commitment to artificially suppressed interest rates ruins the charade that the economy is getting healthier. Why on earth does a healthy economy need the support of free money?

The short-term data may appear good on its face, but people are waking up to the bigger picture of this so-called recovery - namely that it isn't a recovery at all.

It's well-recognized now that most new jobs are low-wage, low-skilled placements. Often these are part-time or temporary retail or restaurant positions. This may be why both median income and the percentage of the population employed remain well below pre-crisis levels. The jobless rate has only improved because people have simply given up trying to find employment.

Meanwhile, the latest data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis shows that in the last months of 2013, personal spending rose more than personal income, while the savings rate dropped. In other words, we're back to digging the hole that caused the Panic of '08.

This is one of the longest and slowest recoveries the US has ever experienced, but the mantra of Wall Street maintains that all is well because the stock market is up. We're supposedly returning to normal.

The truth is that "normal" no longer means "healthy" when it comes to the economic stability of the United States. It really means that we are back to where we were prior to the Panic of '08.

Selective Memory

Only a short-term mindset could ignore the parallels between our economy today and ten years ago. Heading into 2004, the headlines sounded almost identical to today's, with talk of an improving economy that still suffered from less-than-optimal employment numbers.

More importantly, it was in 2003 that Alan Greenspan cut the fed funds rate to 1% - the lowest it had been for more than 40 years.

We all know how that story ended. Most economists agree that the interest rate policy of Greenspan's Fed spurred the irresponsible lending practices and speculation that drove the US into a housing crash and then a financial meltdown.

Yet here we are again, with the fed funds rate at record low levels. Nothing has changed in ten years - the supposed recovery we're experiencing now is simply a product of this endless cheap money.

A Sober Analysis

In times like these, long-term gold investors feel like the designated drivers in the corner of a frat party. It might seem like we're missing the fun, but we must remember that we're playing a different game than the short-term speculators.

Our drunken friends have had some cheap thrills in 2013, but this stock market growth rests on an unstable foundation of artificial stimulus and cheap money. We are more interested in waking up without a hangover, a wrecked car, or worse. The longer interest rates remain suppressed, the crazier markets will behave when rates rise. And if Greenspan's one year at 1% rates helped trigger the crash we saw in '08, imagine imagine what three years and counting of Bernanke's/Yellen's 0% rates portends for the next crash.

About:

Peter Schiff is Chairman of Euro Pacific Precious Metals, a gold and silver dealer selling reputable, well-known bullion coins and bars at competitive prices.

source url

http://www.streetinsider.com/Commod...ld+Now+After+2013s+28%+Plunge.../9017116.html
Gold has never been an investment, it is a hedge bought by greedy people and illinformed people thinking they are investors. This has been the story of Gold for longer than many generations.

A functional way to invest in gold, precious metals and gems is to buy jewelry. i collect gold watches- Omegas, Rolexes, IWC- quality stuff that has value beyond their bullion weight. For the wife, she has never turned down gold or diamonds and it sure does make her frisky !!!!!!! And, it can always be turned into cash or bartered if the **** hits the fan.

I am diversified in precious metals: Cast iron, stamped steel, aluminum, pot metal and magnesium.

I have been buying "liquid gold" and have been doing :icon_winkle:well....(oil)

BTW; don't forget about a nice cold winter & energy stocks.

JMVHO

Your last word there, is what is important. "DIVERSIFICATION" I think too many people get stuck in one particular investment then get hurt.

exactly !!, need to be well rounded "spread the wealth" so to speak, in this case anyway...

- - - Updated - - -

I am diversified in precious metals: Cast iron, stamped steel, aluminum, pot metal and magnesium.
yeah Meeps, some of us are far more invested in those than others...LOL...

- - - Updated - - -

I have been buying "liquid gold" and have been doing :icon_winkle:well....(oil)

BTW; don't forget about a nice cold winter & energy stocks.

JMVHO
oil company stocks have done me well too, especially Chevron, great dividends & has split allot over the many years, doubling my stock/holding each time, then allowing me to sell a few shares here & there & buy something else, diversify baby...LOL...., done well with Coke & Pepsi too, not like PG&E AT&T or Cheveron.... my Bud stock was bought out a few years ago when the Germans bought/leveraged them out & I put that into another beverage company... PG&E, AT&T, Comcast/Infinion, Intell, Microsoft, also Verison have all done decent too... some are better long term ivetsments, some are better dividends monthly/quarterly... just depends

About--->1/4 in mutual funds*....1/4 in cash.....1/4 oil.....1/4 bank stocks, insurance, etc.

just 10% in precious metals*....

*sold some in 2013

I am up about 40% last year (2013):sunny:

Auto Transport Service
Back