• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another 67 Coronet dark dash issue

1carlover

Local time
3:02 PM
Reaction score
Ive checked several posts regarding dash lights that are not working on 66-67 B's but still haven't figured out the problem. I have the updated circuit board installed, new headlight switch and changed out incandescent bulbs and the dash did light up. Now its dark and thinking it might be a wiring issue but difficult to diagnose with dash installed. Any ideas on how to proceed would be much appreciated.

Have you made sure you have a good ground between dash panel housing and dash itself? You know how those pesky grounds can be. :moparsmiley:
T
Have you made sure you have a good ground between dash panel housing and dash itself? You know how those pesky grounds can be. :moparsmiley:

You got that right. Ill run a jumper wire from the circuit board to the dash frame as soon as I can get my buddy back over. Spinal fusion keeps me from bending like I used to.

If it lit up and then went dark you probably blew a fuse. Which means something on that circuit is most likely touching ground.
I had an issue on my 72 Charger where it would blow the fuse the minute I turned on the headlights. It was a cigarette lighter that had been unplugged and the wire was toughing the back of the ashtray assembly.
Good luck!

If it lit up and then went dark you probably blew a fuse. Which means something on that circuit is most likely touching ground.
I had an issue on my 72 Charger where it would blow the fuse the minute I turned on the headlights. It was a cigarette lighter that had been unplugged and the wire was toughing the back of the ashtray assembly.
Good luck!
Thanks Im going to keep searching for the problem. One symptom is when I turn my headlights on the overhead light turns off but only with the door open. Then when driving down the road the overhead light comes on so I need to either remove the bulb or the cover. Also I still have no dash lights at all, no brake warning light or alternator light with key in the on position before starting. All gauges, headlights and tailights work as they should and just chasing down why no dash lights.

Just a brief reminder, on DC electricity, the ground side is so very important, on my 67 Gtx , made sure the grounding was more than sufficient on the dash area as well as under hood ! If not it will give you fits ! Good luck ! JC

Just a brief reminder, on DC electricity, the ground side is so very important, on my 67 Gtx , made sure the grounding was more than sufficient on the dash area as well as under hood ! If not it will give you fits ! Good luck ! JC
Thanks I hope to avoid having to pull out the dash cluster again since at age 74 and with spinal fusion I can no longer do the twist getting under there.

Yes I understand, my age is near you , but your condition makes it near impossible! If , I was near, would love to help you out ! For me I remove the drivers bucket seat and use wife’s porch cushions, which you know she loves ,hehehe , and headlight , to help out , the old guy ! Good luck, my friend!

Yes I understand, my age is near you , but your condition makes it near impossible! If , I was near, would love to help you out ! For me I remove the drivers bucket seat and use wife’s porch cushions, which you know she loves ,hehehe , and headlight , to help out , the old guy ! Good luck, my friend!
I guess thats where Im heading and get the seat out of the way but its much easier to diagnose a problem when I have help; two heads are better than one. There was a time when having a friend come over to help was no big deal and I do appreciate your offer and encouragement.

Auto Transport Service
Back