• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

antenna questions 1967 Coronet

Billccm

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:26 PM
Reaction score
Hello:
The antenna on my 1967 Coronet is intermittent. I can tap the base of the antenna with a screwdriver handle and the signal will drop off. I remember back in the day these antennas failed for the same symptom.
A few questions:
1) MOPAR friend lent me his antenna tool, but about 1/32 too big in diameter (see picture). I assume eBay has a tool, but they look like the tool I already have and it doesn't work? Any advice on what tool I need?
2) I was going to replace this antenna with a solid mast 1970 Charger antenna, but was told per 1968 antenna is different and this won't work. Any recommendations on a single mast replacement for a 1967 Coronet?
I worked in a TV Repair shop in the late 1970s and we contracted radio service to a Buick/Pontiac used car lot. I remember we had Mopar 'universal' antennas that were claimed to replace 1960 to 1979, but not sure if I ever replaced one in a pre 68 Mopar. My memory of those days is fading anyhow.
Appreciate the help and advice. Thanks and have a nice day.

thumbnail_IMG_20230205_120457939.jpg

The base on '68 and later antennas have a different angle and larger anchoring mechanism. The fender hole would need to be enlarged for one and it would lean at an angle. I took my '67 base and gutted it, then took apart a Ford Grenada antenna base and soldered in the screw in base from the Grenada to the Coronet base. Then I had a thin single post antenna that will unscrew for car washes.

I have a tool that I bought that works great. I also have several reproduction 67 antennas that I haven't ever used. It seems that they were hard to find some years back, so when I found one for sale, I bought it.

I have a tool that I bought that works great. I also have several reproduction 67 antennas that I haven't ever used. It seems that they were hard to find some years back, so when I found one for sale, I bought it.
Thanks
If you've got part numbers I'd appreciate the information. If you want to unload your overstock of antenna by one send me a pm.

Snap ring pliers work very well in taking the bezel nut off. I suggest spraying it with a penetrant, might help. A very small punch will also work, but most likely mar the notches.

Needle nose pliers with electrical tape on the ends has worked for me. Also two small slotted screw drivers crossed has worked like a spanner to remove the nut.
I also gutted my 67 antenna and matched the base to a newer mopar solid one from the scrap yard, don't recall the year or model.
Agree with Diesel, it's great to unscrew the mast, especially for my car cover.
In future I might want to try matching the 67 base to a power antenna.
Good luck with yours.

I just gently tap a large, flat blade screwdriver with something heavy and make sure to go around from side to side so it doesn't bind.

My game plan is to see what failed in the antenna first. I am thinking maybe the coax crimp is loose and that would be an easy fix. Appreciate all of the tips!

Antenna not grounding good enough?
Try twisting the guts of it from underneath the fender?

Auto Transport Service
Back