• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Antifreeze leak

Marco Perez

Local time
11:55 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys i got a 64 chrysler newport and i just noticed a leak under the hood right in front of the passanger side and driver side can anyone give me any advise on what it could be or help me in the direction.

Thanks ahead of time

PS driver side seems to leak alot more

20230704_122536.jpg

20230704_122625.jpg

Hi guys i got a 64 chrysler newport and i just noticed a leak under the hood right in front of the passanger side and driver side can anyone give me any advise on what it could be or help me in the direction.

Thanks ahead of time

PS driver side seems to leak alot more

View attachment 1489710

View attachment 1489713
You are marking the firewall. I would guess the heater core if it's back there.

Yes to toolmanmike. I saw the coolant on the floor on drivers side but nothing on the passenger side.

Heres a small clip from the top. I comes from the top it looks like but i see no connections back there besides some small metal lines that run somewhere back there. These pictures are from the botton by that firewall.

20230704_131005.jpg

20230704_130954.jpg

So from my research and ehat you told me the actual heater core is inside the firewall... how do u access it?
Have you checked the carpet under the dash to see if it's wet? I'm not an expert, but the heater core will most likely be in the plenum (plastic/fiberglass) box behind the dashboard. If the carpet isn't wet, check all the heater core lines (hoses) under the hood where they connect to the heater core inlet and outlet. You might try a coolant system pressure test to see if you can find an active leak.

Have you checked the carpet under the dash to see if it's wet?
When I had a heater core rot out, I could smell that sweet smell of coolant from within the cabin, and when I checked the carpet, sure enough, it was wet. Passenger-side floor board, under the glove box.

Do a pressure test. As in post #7 said.
I had a pin hole in a heater hose that only leaked under pressure and it was squirting over the engine onto everything including the firewall.

You might check out the exhaust bolts on the head. Normally the bolt holes on the ends strike water but in some cases, the inner holes hit water also depending on core shift. I had a set of 915's with that issue.

Are heater cores able to get fixed if they're leaking?

So frin further inspection it is leaking from the bottom of the cover down to the firewall... not from hoses...

What type of seal is used to remount cover after removing cover?

Thanks again for all your guys help

Auto Transport Service
Back