• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any 72 b-body experts wanna chime in on original rim choices?

What’s up dock

Local time
9:04 AM
Reaction score
Self-proclaimed experts welcome too, of course!
I'm dealing with a 72 gtx. Fender tag lists a U52 code for tires, which is listed as 9.15x15 WSW. I assume this is a white letter goodyear. Real question is the wheels. There is nothing on the tag for wheels, nor can I find any "standard" wheel for the GTX package. Doing basic google searches give you a mix of 71/72 cars, even though they say they are 72's.
The most common seems to be a regular argent rallye wheel with the 72 and up large center cap.

No expert, but interested in the numbers. Something is wrong. 1972 didn’t use that tire sizing they used alpha-numeric, F70-14, etc. I don’t find a 1972 decoder online, only 1969-71, the 69-71 decoder shows those for 69 only.

Here is what the 1972 specs and data book show.

83646473-77A7-4C16-AB79-926EF8F770F2.jpeg C31C3270-17E6-4EE0-A625-E7DA1361EEB1.jpeg 56698A05-A426-4948-BE4A-A0623B9AE1AC.jpeg

Thanks. My fault. I wrote it down as U52. It's actually J52, which is inside hood release. That explains the weird tire sizing.
So, with that figured out, it leave no tire or wheel size on the fender tag. I guess it was a standard wheel car, no options on the tag, so 14 inch road wheel.
This is where it would be nice to have the build sheet!

Self-proclaimed experts welcome too, of course!
I'm dealing with a 72 gtx. Fender tag lists a U52 code for tires, which is listed as 9.15x15 WSW. I assume this is a white letter goodyear. Real question is the wheels. There is nothing on the tag for wheels, nor can I find any "standard" wheel for the GTX package. Doing basic google searches give you a mix of 71/72 cars, even though they say they are 72's.
The most common seems to be a regular argent rallye wheel with the 72 and up large center cap.
How many places inside the car have you searched for the broadcast sheet?

No sheet? That sounds like G60X15 to me!

Last edited:
How many places inside the car have you searched for the broadcast sheet?
All the normal places. The car is out getting the bottom and engine compartment media blasted right now, so I took it down to the shell. It's not under any seat, or on the glovebox.

No sheet? That sounds like G60X15 to me!
That's where I'm leaning towards too!

Auto Transport Service
Back