• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone here have experience.....5.7 oil pan gasket replacement ?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:06 PM
Reaction score
My trusty Dodge truck....

Ram Jam 1.JPG

380,000 miles and still running! The oil pan gasket leaks though. I'm looking to swap it out sometime soon. This is what it looks like:

5.7 gasket 2.jpg

It reminds me of the ones offered for the big block engines where the windage tray and gasket is all one piece.

Looks to be a fairly easy job, right?

1 laugh 6.jpg

I guess we will see.

You’ll need to take of the front cover and drop the pickup tube….unless you cut a notch out in the new pan gasket.

I haven’t changed any while in the truck or car, but easy enough on an engine stand.

Front cover? All that stuff has to come off ???

Only if ya want to do it right! There’s an hex bolt that needs to be loosened so the pickup tube will come off the oil pump. Like I said, you can cut/notch the gasket if you don’t want to the right way.

Only one I have done was on a 2007 2500 4x4. Took the pan loose reached up and unbolted the pickup. Pickup, and gasket all came down with the pan. 2wd may require raising the engine. That is a pretty good gasket. I would look close to make sure it is not coming from someplace else.

I would look close to make sure it is not coming from someplace else.

This morning while getting gas I saw some smoke so I popped the hood. The LH exhaust manifold had some black residue on it where the smoke was. Makes me think that maybe the driver side valve cover gasket could be to blame. I’ll take a closer look.
Thanks !

Me thinks with that kind of mileage Kern, you would have looked at replacing those at an earlier time rather than wait until now. Preventative maintenance is the key here and eventually all things mechanical, need some overhaul and replacement. Just my take is all...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Those exhaust manifolds get cracks in them and the bolts snap too. What you’re going to do is simple, nothing difficult. Hell, if wanted to drive down to my place, I’d help ya!!

Auto Transport Service
Back