• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know what this is? And what it does?

Tman100

Local time
2:34 AM
Reaction score
So I replaced my hazard flasher in my car as the blinker one crapped out last year so I thought I would get that done tonight. I was under the dash and bumped this and it sparked.. end fall off and got really hot really fast. I had the hazard blinker on and of course the interior lights were on but nothing else.
Log story short I burnt myself but my car is safe. It sure smelled like a fire under the dash for a few seconds…
Anyone know what this is and what it does? It’s shorted out never the less. Better when I was under the dash then when we were all sleeping.

IMG_4456.jpeg

IMG_4455.jpeg

IMG_4454.jpeg

IMG_4451.jpeg

IMG_4453.jpeg

IMG_4452.jpeg

Time Delay Relay... It powers a couple small lights after the door is closed, typically one for the ignition key location & one for the headlight switch location...

They get hot, that's normal... Once the door is shut & stays shut it cools off... There is a heating coil inside that's how it works..

Time Delay Relay... It powers a couple small lights after the door is closed, typically one for the ignition key location & one for the headlight switch location...

They get hot, that's normal... Once the door is shut & stays shut it cools off... There is a heating coil inside that's how it works..
Thanks for the info…must not have worked since I restored the car. Dads works but mine never did. I’ll see if I can source a new one.

If its heating up it is working.

It wasn’t the heat I was so worried about. When I bumped the top (cap) came off exposing the innards and it shorted out and sparked I then grabbed it and Bruned myself as I was trying to prevent it from hitting anything else under the dash. Being on your back with big hands and $h!t hitting the fan you almost panic… I got it out and no more sparks. It’s damaged due to the shorting i expect and although the cap can be put back on it’s no longer any good.

Actually it's probable fine... If it shorted hard enough to matter it would have popped a fuse... And even then that part probably wouldn't get hurt...

Auto Transport Service
Back