• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Axle shaft choices for 8.75 rear

Al K

Local time
7:33 PM
Reaction score
All right now;getting the new rear axle together to replace the original unit in the '64. Still haven't found a puller to get the old axles out,and on your advice,just found a later unit. New axle bearings are here,decided to just run the 3.23's in the 489 case for now(it's ready to bolt in) just to try to get this thing on the road. Don't even get me started on the latest issue-a potentially cracked block-which I didn't @#$%&#@ need. Another time...

So,the question is(you knew I'd get to it eventually): Would the axles I have(pictured) be able to handle a planned 450-500 HP RB,3.73-3.91 gear,22-2500 stall on no more than narrow drag radials. Prefer to experiment(if it ever sees the @#$%&@# road!!!) with regular street(radial) tires at the strip. They're what I've got for now;don't have a problem springing for Mo$er units or looking for stronger OEM pieces(though the Mosers would be nice...),but I may be looking at a new mill,as well as the trans rebuild and though I'm not trying to be a cheap-***,I may need to think a bit like a cheap-***. I guess I can spring for better units when the bigger gear goes in(next year?),but who knows what will pop up then,problem-wise. It's been that kind of adventure.

Did I mention the strange electrical issues? No? I will...

Oh,sorry about the expletives-don't ban me for semi-foul language.

100_2049.jpg

100_2051.jpg

I have put an estimated 400-450 HP through a stock 8-3/4 on 8.5" slicks with no problems and will be doing it again soon.

You can also think of it this way. They used to race Max Wedge equipped cars with 4 speeds on tapered axle 8-3/4 and the ball and trunion drive shafts.

What Meep-Meep said.

Auto Transport Service
Back