• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Backing plate and drum interchange

63hemipolara

Local time
5:06 AM
Reaction score
I was wondering if the backing plates and brake hardware are interchangeable between any 8 3/4 diff. I have a pressed in axle diff from 63 with a 741 case and I want to change it for a more modern 68-70 b-body 8 3/4 with a 489 case.

Can I swap my brake hardware. Anything one should look for when checking out used pigs from these diffs other than chipped gears and the correct wear pattern on the gears? Thanks group.

Sounds like you've got the used pig covered. When it gets right down to it, the only way to really know what you've got is to 1) buy new (or rebuild) or 2) run it.

I've never taken a caster nut type 8.75 apart so I don't know for sure. But my guess is as long as the plates have the holes to bolt down the axle plate, then they will swap

I don't have an answer to your question but i know that the only rear that will bolt right up to your '63 and not have the tapered axles is a '65.
Thats what i'm using.
I Picked up a banjo rear from a '65 plymouth and it bolts right up.
The '68-'70 is wider. I'm not sure if the rear itself that is wider or just the perches. Either way it would have to be modified.

You can run either a 489 or 742 case with a '65 rear also:beerchug:

The 1964 and older backing plates are different than the 1966 and newer. Won't interchange. I have big car backing plates for both .

I'm using my 64 center section, 68 axle housing (perches are 44' on center for all 62-70 b bodies) that was narrowed 3/4' per side, and the original backing plates from the 64. So yes, the backing plates will work. If you dont want to narrow the housing, no biggie, just bolt it in and go. Depending on the rear tire size and back space of the rim, it may get alittle tight at the lip, (mine is 275-60-15 with a 4' back space and was really close to the lip) so I had the rear narrowed, plenty of room now.

Auto Transport Service
Back