• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Been A Busy Couple Of Days

Auggie56

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:38 AM
Reaction score
Tuesday I pulled my 2001 Ram into the garage to put a fifth wheel hitch on it. The camper dealer wanted over six hundred to install it. So decided to do it myself. I had to park the Plymouth outside, covered it up with a car cover the neighbor gave me he used on a Mustang. It covered the trunk and the roof, and I anchored it down on the hood with a couple of small bricks. We had a deep freeze and four inches of snow, so I felt bad that she had to be out in the weather.
I set to work on the truck and soon found out I needed to remove the gas tank, to get to the mounting bolts for the hitch, the tank had about ten gallons in it. It was OK as I found the rear brake line behind the tank heavyly rusted. And I decided to replace the fuel pump as a maintenance thing, but NAPA had none and to top it off they claimed that there was three different pumps. I just went the easy route and went to the local dealer who had to order it. This again was last Tuesday.
So here I sit with future appointments to get to as did the wife with only one operable daily driver. Come Wednesday and the pump still had not come in. To top it off I started her car to warm it up and it cranked slow in the fifteen degree temperature. The rest of the day it started fine. The battery was a five year Intersate with three years on it.
Today, Thursday morning, the car was totaly dead. And the pickup wasn't going anywhere. So that left the Belvedere. How I hated the thought of it getting salt on it not to mention the slush. I pulled the cover off and drove her and her friend to bowling the alley. On the way she asked if there was enough gas, and I told her between a half and a quarter, plenty of gas. I went to my appointment, and then stopped to visit someone.
Time to pick Linda up and the car ran good so far. We loaded car and proceded to the other woman's house. I stopped at a light only to have the car stall. She never fired a lick, and with the gauge at a quarter I figured it was out of gas, and with a half a dozen cars behind me at the light to. Luckily there was a gas station at the light. The can cost me twelve bucks plus a gallon of gas. It fired right up once the gas was in and I drove into the station and put the last of my cash in the tank. Had the car stopped past that station, there wasn't another within about five miles. Apparently the new gas sending unit I put in last year is off by a quarter.
We dropped off the other woman, the car ran well all the way home.
It was still in the teens temp wise and I had to contend with her dead battery. She steered as I pushed the Impala outside, jumped it off the Plymouth, and drove it to Goodyear for another Interstate battery. However, they not only don't carry that brand they don't stock any batteries. Went across the street to a garage and they stocked NAPA batteries. Since the Interstate store was ten miles away and it was already five, I had them install the NAPA with a five year life. A hundred and sixty six dollars latter I was on my way home.
I know I could have just driven to the local NAPA and bought a battery and install it myself, but damn it's just so cold out there. Onece home I paused while the garage door went up to only glance at the Belveder sitting it the drive, with salt spary on the body, and not doubting slush up in the underside of the fenders. I'm trying not to think about it sitting there in the drive until the pickup gets done which may not be until next week. Sniff...

Sounds like a full week...

Sounds like a full week, so far...

at least you have something else you could drive...

good luck

Sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do!

My neighbor wants to borrow my 03 Ram tomorrow morning. I haven't started it in three weeks, it's low on gas and it suppose to be like 5* and twenty mph winds in the morning. Not looking forward to it but he's a good neighbor.

Good Lord, Auggie. You had a month in a day there!

You should be happy with the Napa battery, I put them in my fleet and the seem to do well.

You also did the right thing by getting the oem pump from a dealer. The aftermarket Parts store brands don't seem to last more than 40k anymore.

Ain't that just how it goes, one thing leads to another.
Hope you wash the Plymouth off good.

Sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do!

My neighbor wants to borrow my 03 Ram tomorrow morning. I haven't started it in three weeks, it's low on gas and it suppose to be like 5* and twenty mph winds in the morning. Not looking forward to it but he's a good neighbor.

Yea! It started. Too cold for this ....! 8* feels like -8*

My wife would be walking to work before I’d get my Belvedere out in this!

I don't know how you guys in those winter cold areas do anything outside!
We are in our 5th? day of sub freezing (20s) temps overnight and in the 30s and 40s during the day.
Once the sun goes down, if it's outside it isn't getting done until daylight, preferably around 1 or 2pm.

I don't know how you guys in those winter cold areas do anything outside!
We are in our 5th? day of sub freezing (20s) temps overnight and in the 30s and 40s during the day.
Once the sun goes down, if it's outside it isn't getting done until daylight, preferably around 1 or 2pm.
Easy, we have to.
It's -10 right now and it's been negative for 8 days in row now. It's gotten as low as -20.
Long story short, I don't want my livestock to die so we do what we must. Mechanical failure in this cold is a guarantee so that's what my days consist of. Moving snow, repairing feedlines exhaust fans and heaters. Also repairing the snowmoving equipment that goes down.
It's suppose to get warmer by Monday so...
The good thing about this cold snap is that the ice on the river and ponds and makes us now thick enough to drive on so I don't have to walk far to go ice fishing.
:thumbsup:

My wife would be walking to work before I’d get my Belvedere out in this!

Should have rented a car, but that wasn't an option at the time. Thanks

DSCF3104.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back