• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Been a long time since going to the track....so....

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:50 PM
Reaction score
Might go this weekend. The Lone Star Mopar® Fest (LX stuff) will be out there but a buddy of mine is going to do a couple of time trials with his 318 powered 94 Dakota and watch the LX guys try to blow up some stuff. He's done some mods on it and is hoping to better the best time of 9.97. Yeah, it's got a 4" crank in it and a turbo.....but got to thinking that it's been probably 10 years since going out there and since it's closing after this year, may as well see how bad things are lol. Never did care for that track but it is where I won my first race but with a sloooooow car.

Might go this weekend. The Lone Star Mopar® Fest (LX stuff) will be out there but a buddy of mine is going to do a couple of time trials with his 318 powered 94 Dakota and watch the LX guys try to blow up some stuff. He's done some mods on it and is hoping to better the best time of 9.97. Yeah, it's got a 4" crank in it and a turbo.....but got to thinking that it's been probably 10 years since going out there and since it's closing after this year, may as well see how bad things are lol. Never did care for that track but it is where I won my first race but with a sloooooow car.

Take pics please?

Watching is so much less interesting than doing. I always liked being in the drivers seat, even when the results weren't that great.

sounds like fun

I'm not a great spectator
I do better watching on TV
at the track I get way to itchy to get back into it

I don't go to the track much anymore myself
partially because it's 120+ miles away now
(that track I use to live 12 miles from is for sale
& will probably 'be sold' soon too)
I've done a few tests & licensing passes
(keeping my comp license current)
& checking out or doing shakedown runs,
in friends cars for them or tuning assistance stuff

my priorities have changed
(some that weren't in my control either)
just life

It's still in my blood, deeply entrenched in me
I have to be careful 'when I do go'
to not get totally hooked again

Went ti the very first Nationals when it opened. Havent gone in years as the Spring Nats always fell on the Pate swap meet week.
Next year its in late May so I will probably make that one.
I guess the closest 1/4 mile track will now be in Ennis. They do have an 1/8 mile track somewhere on Lake Houston Parkway but Ive never been to it & 1/8 has never interested me really.
@cdr are you heading there this weekend?
Im not going to make it as Im "celebrating" our 20th wedding anniversary....

Went ti the very first Nationals when it opened. Havent gone in years as the Spring Nats always fell on the Pate swap meet week.
I guess the closest 1/4 mile track will now be in Ennis. They do have an 1/8 mile track somewhere on Lake Houston Parkway but Ive never been to it & 1/8 has never interested me really.
Its going to be pretty hot on Saturday, when I wake up Sat morning I will decide, will take the Charger if I go, the 1/8 track is called HMP, its not my kind of track, up hill burnout box, people all standing in the starting line area slingin money & bets, San Antonio is the closest but still a long drive, ESPECIALLY a long way from home if I break something in the car, and a HAPPY HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO Y'ALL !!!!!

Watching is so much less interesting than doing. I always liked being in the drivers seat, even when the results weren't that great.
Same here!! Hard for me to just sit and watch.

A work buddy's daughter used to baby sit for one of the Angel brothers and she got tickets for the Nats every year from them and she would give them to her dad and he would hand them over to me and they weren't the cheap seats either. Good times back then! And been to the 1/8 mile track several times....Houston Motorsports Park. They had a small circle track too and that was pretty cool to watch someone practicing but it's pretty small too. It might be a 3/8ths miler? The biggest thing I didn't like about the drag strip besides being 1/8 mile is that the shut down was also short and if you had a problem stopping, you went through a big ditch and if going fast enough, you would hit the far side bank and flip out onto a public road. One thing I liked a lot was all the pits had 110v power. But never raced there and never will lol. And happy 20th anniversary!!

Happy Anniversary coming up, 20 years is special

Its going to be pretty hot on Saturday, when I wake up Sat morning I will decide, will take the Charger if I go, the 1/8 track is called HMP, its not my kind of track, up hill burnout box, people all standing in the starting line area slingin money & bets, San Antonio is the closest but still a long drive, ESPECIALLY a long way from home if I break something in the car, and a HAPPY HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO Y'ALL !!!!!
Being hot is one of my concerns too. Can't handle it these days but at least it's not in the upper 90's anymore. I have to wear long sleeves and a wide brim hat and well, that's not exactly comfortable. As of right now, I'm plan on going and will kept an eye out for your car. If you see a red Dakota....probably mine but ain't gonna make any passes....well, might lol but I'm sure it's slower than my mean green one and that thing was mid 16's. James will have his 94 Dakota out there and iirc, it's B7 but doubt there will be any other Dakotas out there.

Good luck
if you go & run it, let US know, what it did
I ALWAYS LIKED YOUR CAR/BUILD STYLE

I call this Dakota 'the little monster'. And I will probably be out there....especially since there's going to be an air show this weekend and I'm close to the airbase. Only been to the air show twice and well when you have almost a front row seat in the backyard, why go....plus I'm kinda tired of jet noise! :D

-5416150824325874689.jpg

Charlie you think San Antonio is closer than Ennis? I've never seen it or even know where it is relative to the city but I guess its a straight shot for you.
I'm not sure if Little River is still open near Temple, they all 3 might be about the same distance.

Charlie you think San Antonio is closer than Ennis? I've never seen it or even know where it is relative to the city but I guess its a straight shot for you.
I'm not sure if Little River is still open near Temple, they all 3 might be about the same distance.
Looks like Little River Dragway is further than Alamo.....and Alamo looks closer than Ennis....but not by much.

Drag racing is just plain fun. Before I moved up to Maine I would go to Raceway Park in NJ once and awhile. Hanging out, making a few runs (had a Vette). Good times.

Alamo is on the east side of SA, 145 miles for me, Ennis is 216

Looks like Little River Dragway is further than Alamo.....and Alamo looks closer than Ennis....but not by much.
I guess its a straight shot for Charlie and pretty much for you to get on I-10, I go to Ft worth a couple of times a year so I guess its the same for me getting on 45. I can be in Corsicana in about 2 hrs and Ennis isn't that much further....

I guess its a straight shot for Charlie and pretty much for you to get on I-10, I go to Ft worth a couple of times a year so I guess its the same for me getting on 45. I can be in Corsicana in about 2 hrs and Ennis isn't that much further....
Straight shot for me too but driving through Houston on any freeway then driving on the west side on I10 sucks no matter what time of day!! Getting on 45N from where you are....is much better imo lol

Straight shot for me too but driving through Houston on any freeway then driving on the west side on I10 sucks no matter what time of day!! Getting on 45N from where you are....is much better imo lol
Ya after driving to the Med Center for 12+ years, Im sure glad I found a place 3 mins from the house where I dont have to go south of 1960!
.Matter of fact I think the last two trips to your place is the last time Ive been south of 1960!

Ya after driving to the Med Center for 12+ years, Im sure glad I found a place 3 mins from the house where I dont have to go south of 1960!
.Matter of fact I think the last two trips to your place is the last time Ive been south of 1960!
I stay off of 225 anymore these days! That freeway is nuts. Going just south of it through LaPorte is easy on the nerves and getting on just before the FH bridge works well. The back streets are 40mph with no lights and heck, I get to look around some too instead of having to watch out for the crazies!

Auto Transport Service
Back