• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bent power steering pulley

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:04 PM
Reaction score
Working on my 1969 dodge charger r/t 440 auto w/ac i noticed the power steering pulley seems to be bent.
It's also misaligned with the crank pulley at the bottom of the engine. (I guess due to the fact that its bent)

See pictures (looks worse in person):

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

I wonder what i should do about this?
Should i try to straighten it out with a hammer or something?
Should i ignore it?

I'm also not sure if the pulley itself is bent or the "rod" that its bolted to.
Need to figure this out.

Well i want to replace the radiator, water pump and all belts anyway so maybe i should also replace the whole power steering pump including
the pulley while i'm at it?

Is somebody selling a NOS or chrysler licensed reproduction unit complete with pulley and everything? (I'm not going to put regular aftermarket parts in this car)

I am trying to figure out that also so far the cast pulley looks good.

If the pulley on the power steering pump looks like this:

AC 6 (2)_LI.jpg

They can be bent back into shape easily. The ones that are solid can be bent back too but it takes more effort.

Count your fingers going in and coming out! How I did the one on the Bird before heading to Alabama in 2019. Worked like a charm..

The A/C compressor looks cockeyed also. I'd look at that if your running belts on that.

Thanks guys i will see if i can straighten that out.

But if for whatever reason i can't:

Is somebody selling a NOS or chrysler licensed reproduction unit complete with pulley and everything? (I'm not going to put regular aftermarket parts in this car)

As previously posted, the pulley can be straightened easily, also replaced easily.

As previously posted, the pulley can be straightened easily, also replaced easily.

Yes i hope so.
I'm just planning ahead since it can take weeks or even worse to get a part shipped to germany.

Auto Transport Service
Back