• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Block Guru's??????

okiemopar

Local time
11:56 AM
Reaction score
Ok the rocker shaft on my 383 broke on the way home, I had to drive it a ways to get there. The lifters stayed in so what damage could I have done to it? It seems to be running fine and I have drove it a lot since I done this. Would this have hurt the rings? This is a new rebuild 30 over 383. So what does every one think? Thanks Ronnie

The chance that the broken rocker shaft damaged the rings is remote. More importantly, why did the rocker shaft break?

if the rockers and pushrods stayed in place i'd say no damage, just replace the shaft.

IQ52 I gotta ask the same thing, I cant recall the last time I ever saw a Rocker Shaft break...if it was installed correctly......damage to the rings from the broken shaft itself...naaaa.... Possible but NOT probable, but I would NOT be driving it to far or to long if I were you..that broken shaft could lead to other MORE expensive repairs, especially if the rocker arms start walking around, you maybe looking at push rods, valve guides, valve tips being resurfaced.... etc etc...

One of the bolts backed off. I put all new shafts and rockers on it. I don't think i hurt any thing but I just wanted some more peoples thoughts on it. Ronnie

You could have nicked up the cam and lifters from floating around.I have seen that happen when pushrods fly out.If its running fine now it should be fine.Just keep an eye on it.

I think your lucky you didn't throw the lifters right out of the bores! Did the rocker shaft stay in place but just cracked in two?

if the lifter comes out ,all the oil pressure goes south...if it didn't wack,smack,crackle or whatever...sounded normal...I'd say buy a lottery ticket as Your luck is starting to roll

Stock 383 rocker shaft.

IMAG0541.gif

Auto Transport Service
Back