• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big block oil pan leak

Nevada dan

Local time
5:23 PM
Reaction score
The oil pan on my hemi leaked like a siv
With the 2 gaskets on the Windage tray, they seemed saturated and leaked all the way around, after ordering a puller for the center link I pulled the pan and found that someone put a chrome bolt kit, while the felt tight they weren’t, the chrome bolts are longer and they bottom out leaving most of the gasket loose
I replaced the bolts with a new set like factory and installed one of those fibre
Trays with the silicone gasket built in
I’m really happy with it, it’s as dry as a desert bone
Now I’ve got to do the leaky trans pan
At least that won’t be very hard just a lot of fluid to replace

Cool, use the Mopar reusable trans gasket too

I like studs for the big block pan. Seems easier to tighten without overtightning (to me), especially with a windage tray. And alignment is a breeze.

I used studs on my Hemi also. Snug them up good, go back after the first 3 or 4 drives and re-snug them up tight until the gasket stabilizes, and so far no leaks - at least from there.

I like studs for the big block pan. Seems easier to tighten without overtightning (to me), especially with a windage tray. And alignment is a breeze.

I used studs on my Hemi also. Snug them up good, go back after the first 3 or 4 drives and re-snug them up tight until the gasket stabilizes, and so far no leaks - at least from there.
Sorry if I’m hijacking your thread, but I was planning on pulling my engine, changing the pan, adding a windage tray, and was wondering how well using studs would work, looks like I’m on the right track.

I’m glad you solved your pan leak, good luck on your trans pan!

Make sure it's the trans pan leaking. Line fittings, dipstick tube, shift seal, KD lever seal, rear band anchor pin, and tailshaft gasket are all above the pan and can weep down making it look like the pan. Do not use the thick rubber reusable pan gasket unless using the 518 ribbed style pan. The cork gasket works very well with the stock pan if not over tightened.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back