• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Biggest vac secondary carb?

69 GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:24 PM
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone makes a vac secondary carb bigger than 750?

In the early '70's, Carter Thermoquads were available up to 1000 cfm in the CS (competition series) models. These race models were available before Chrysler started using Thermoquads on production engines.

Holley used to make a 3 barrel in 950 and 1050 sizes, basically a four barrel that had the two secondaries turned into one giant oval plate. Hard to get parts for but there are usually a couple on ebay.

If you want new, Holley still offers a vacuum 870 cfm 4 bbl model...http://www.holley.com/0-81870.asp

950cfm {some 1050} 3bbl Holley #3916 #4915 #4604 among others IIRC, was a great old vac. sec. carb, "tuned properly" originally used on BB's {some Nascar for a short time}...

Attachments

• Holley 950cfm 3bbl #3916 Vac. Sec..jpg
    Holley 950cfm 3bbl #3916 Vac. Sec..jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 407
  • Holley 950cfm 3bbl #4915 Vac. Sec..jpg
    Holley 950cfm 3bbl #4915 Vac. Sec..jpg
    12 KB · Views: 377
  • Holley 950cfm 3bbl #4604 Vac. Sec..jpg
    Holley 950cfm 3bbl #4604 Vac. Sec..jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 362
  • Holley 950cfm 1050cfm 3bbl #4604 Vac. Sec..jpg
    Holley 950cfm 1050cfm 3bbl #4604 Vac. Sec..jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 444
the 870 street avengers are still available through jegs and summit.

the 870 street avengers are still available through jegs and summit.

Beat me to it, (you and Photon) I was going to say the same exact thing.
You can still pick up TQ's cheap from 800cfm-850cfm, as Photon also mentioned.

The 3 BBLs with the dump tubes are 1030 or 1050. I have one on my carb wall that I'm thinking of putting on a stock 318 with a 4 BBL to 2 BBL adapter.

Budnicks what do you think? I'm thinking one of these (3 bll) might just be the ticket for my project! Close to a six pack in CFM, vac sec. and a single carb. Or do you think I'd be better off with the 870 street avenger? Thanks!!!

Budnicks what do you think? I'm thinking one of these (3 bll) might just be the ticket for my project! Close to a six pack in CFM, vac sec. and a single carb. Or do you think I'd be better off with the 870 street avenger? Thanks!!!

Can be made to work, I wouldn't scare you off of getting one, but IMHFO it depends on what it's going on, how many cubes ? what RPM range ? what manifold ? what camshaft ? what ignition ? etc.... CI X RPM Divided By 3456 = CFM I had good luck with them way back in the early to mid 80's IIRC, they were good carbs for the time... Now you can get a Quickfuel parts, much better adj. metering billet blocks, different Acc. Pump, or discharge squirters/nozzles & cams, jet extensions, Vinton needles &seats, better gaskets, also some adj. secondary jet plates, with replaceable/interchangeable jets for great adjustability {pro-maxx if Quickfuel doesn't list it} & update it some too... If you have enough air flow & exhaust flow & then need that much CFM it will work just fine, you can also detune it some too, more than one way to skin a cat...

Budnicks you were spot on as always! I looked at Quick fuel, they only showed a 780 vs. So I sent them a email and they do have a 880 vs. Did a online search and Indy Performance has them on sale for $499. Can't pass that up! Also a cool feature they have on their vac. pod is a needle and seat to adjust, so no more swapping out springs to make adjustments!!! Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction:headbang:

I have an 850 cfm, vacuum secondaries, electric choke, Barry Grant for sale. $400 PM me here for info.

Hey "69 GTX" :

A word of caution for u.....I don't know what you're planning to put that 880 Quick Fuel on as far as engine goes but I bought one and tried it on my 505 stroker and data logged it OOTB with an air/fuel monitor.
As it comes from QuickFuel, it's a "drag race" only carb and is pig rich....I do drag race my car and this carb was way richer than the 950 double pumper I normally run. You may be able to lean the carb out some with jets , air bleeds , and power valves but the metering blocks are set up for drag racing.
Wouldn't want to see u try and run this carb on the street without some major adjustment.

Hope this helps.....

Splicer

Any carb you put on it, no matter whom makes it, I've never ran any carb OOTB, they never seems to be exactly what I need, they always "should be tuned/dialed in properly, for your specific combo, altitude, driving conditions, intended usage" etc.

What setup are you running engine-wise? You definitely don't want to run too big of a carb, streetability and mileage will be junk and the car with run too rich. Also if its way too large it might be **** off the line. I don't see the need for above 850cfm on a n/a car, even if it's built. But just my opinion.

Will go on a 440, which will turn into a 500 stroker later. Trying to get the mileage and performance of a six pack in a vac. secondary 4 barrel. It will see the strip pretty often if I have my way. I agree with Budnicks, every carb I've put on I've had to taylor to my set up.

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note I really liked the vac secondary adjustment system they have using a needle & seat to adjust opening rate instead of swapping springs!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back