• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue 413, '62 Polara ???

Hi There

From what I know, the 300H motor was dealer installed, as were a myriad of options like gearing, cams etc. I have a copy of the above mentioned article from 1962 and will scan and post later on today.

Edit -

Well it's later, so here they are. First 5 pages are a road test from "Car Life" in March 1962. The last 2 pages are an article on somebodys car in Musclecar review in November 1988.

Or if you prefer, link to album -
http://imageshack.us/g/138/001ikn.jpg/

Last edited:
This is a copy of an e-mail that I wrote to Darrell Davis, a well known author, "The 1962 Dodge Ram Charger Guide" for one example..................................................................................................................... I'm a member of "B Bodies Only" Forum and a couple of us have run across an engine combination that is in need of some answers.We have noticed at least four, one being owned by a member from Austria, in which a 1962 Dodge Polara and a Dart is equipt with a turquoise, 413 H engine with two inline fours. We're trying to determine whether this is a factory order or maybe a dealer install. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.I'm hoping that you might have stumbled across this combo during your research on the Ram Chargers and Super Stocks. I have a copy of your 413 Ram Charger. Great Guide!Thanks in advance,

- - - Updated - - -

This was his reply.........................................................................................................................................................................Hello John:* The confusion comes in because Chrysler released two engine combinations for 62 Dodge and Plymouth B body cars that were never produced.* They were the 343 HP, 383 CID engine with 2 X 4 barrel carbs.*and the 385 HP, 413 CID engine with 2 X 4 barrel carbs.* Not one car was built that way but they were legal at NHRA because of the AMA specs.* Some cars were likely modified to those specs.* The 330 HP, 383 CID 1 X 4 bbl. carb engine was available late in the year and commonly installed in quite a number of police cars.* Hope this helps.* Darrell *DARRELL DAVIS100 TECH DR.SANFORD, FL 32771**

i thought there was a 385hp dual quad option for the 62 dodge? i don't know if it was a dealer or factory thing. the 385hp engine had a mechanical cam along with the quads vs the 340hp engine with a hydraulic cam and single 4bbl.

The link below comes from the turbine car web site and shows the first turquoise 413 was in '64. Till then all 413s would have been painted orange and 383s turquoise. No blue engines till 1970.

http://www.turbinecar.com/misc/enginecolor.htm

Sorry to interrupt but....

There are too many mistakes in that list to deem it a credible reference. Sharing the link only adds to confusion.

Sorry to interrupt but....

There are too many mistakes in that list to deem it a credible reference. Sharing the link only adds to confusion.
No need to be sorry, thanks for pointing that out Alfred.
i thought there was a 385hp dual quad option for the 62 dodge? i don't know if it was a dealer or factory thing. the 385hp engine had a mechanical cam along with the quads vs the 340hp engine with a hydraulic cam and single 4bbl.

Yes that seems to be a popular conception. The magazine article from '62 helps to confirm this belief.

Then there are those (like Darrell Davis) that say that these optioned cars were never produced. The fact that I have never seen factory literature acknowledging this engine as an option helps confirm this belief.

I have however acquired a copy of a window sticker for a '62 Polara (not mine, and I have blanked out the VIN) that is interesting -
I can not verify the documents authenticity and I know nothing about the car it pertained to. To me it does not answer anything, but raises only more questions.... window sticker 001.jpg

see if you can chase the "500" code for type of engine. in '62 a $480 option was a lot of money. i wonder if that could have been a cross ram engine? the so called 385hp engines were, i believe, standard 10:1 compression and heads. the mechanical cam was not near as radical as the super stock cams. i've always been under the impression that the 343hp 383's were never built at the factory. we know there were factory cars with 385hp 413's, 300 series chryslers, so the issue is documenting that engine in a b-body.

I have however acquired a copy of a window sticker for a '62 Polara (not mine, and I have blanked out the VIN) that is interesting -
I can not verify the documents authenticity and I know nothing about the car it pertained to. To me it does not answer anything, but raises only more questions.

There are at least two codes on that sticker that are not valid sales codes for 1962 models.

The question it might raise is who, incorrectly, remade this sticker and for what purpose?

Thats a phony label, check the spelling out for Vehical Total. Should read Vehicle Total.

So, with out any engine records for 1962, how does one (including Darrell) positively know that not one car was built that way. I'm confused. And then there are the fender tags that reflect engine N/A.

So, with out any engine records for 1962, how does one (including Darrell) positively know that not one car was built that way. I'm confused. And then there are the fender tags that reflect engine N/A.

No credible proof that one was built by the factory has been produced.

Thats a phony label, check the spelling out for Vehical Total. Should read Vehicle Total.
I imagine they spelt it the way they say it in NC... I don't think a typo proves it's phony.

The 500 engine option according to Galen Govier's white book is a Max Perf 11:1 413, but the price at $480.10 is unusual. I thought the Max Perf option was $545...

???

I imagine they spelt it the way they say it in NC... I don't think a typo proves it's phony.

???

It's not just the typo. (Pretty sure the WS were printed at the factory, not the dealer). Some codes are wrong too. You can explain away the spelling but you cannot explain away incorrect codes.

I'm sorry, there are too many things suspect about that WS to consider it a legitimate source the car portrayed on that WS was built by the factory.

It's not just the typo. (Pretty sure the WS were printed at the factory, not the dealer). Some codes are wrong too. You can explain away the spelling but you cannot explain away incorrect codes.

I'm sorry, there are too many things suspect about that WS to consider it a legitimate source the car portrayed on that WS was built by the factory.

Could you please expand on which codes are wrong on that WS?

- - - Updated - - -

The ad says Dealer engine. Not factory installed.

Car is undocumented, what the ad says is just their opinion.

Could you please expand on which codes are wrong on that WS?

PM sent.

If others want to check the sheet for mistakes, here's one on line reference: http://www.maxwedge.com/priceguides/62.html

I'm sorry but even you posted
I can not verify the documents authenticity and I know nothing about the car it pertained to.

- - - Updated - - -

Car is undocumented, what the ad says is just their opinion.

Not to be rude, but then the article really isn't germane to the conversation. It does not prove the optional engine was factory installed, which is the jist of the thread. It's just a car with an engine installed by, supposedly, a dealer.

I'm sure there are more than one that GG has certified with no records to back them up.Now just how would he do that ?:rolleyes:

Maybe Galen was at the factory that day!

I'm also not convinced Ma Mopar would have called the heater "HOT WATER HEATER ... W/DEFROSTER" and is that supposed to mean rear window defroster, that would be a separate option and kinda odd for this HOT ROD Dodge car to have at all especially in NC right? the defroster part might be right and may mean for front window, but ma wouldn't have called it "HOT WATER" heater.

Auto Transport Service
Back